192 kbps or 320 kbps for MP3 files for use with Xears TD100?
Aug 10, 2010 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

KaiZ

New Head-Fier
Which would be best? I have to take space in consideration for my 8GB card on my Nokia 5800, so if 320 won't make that much of a difference, maybe it would be best to use 192?

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 20
split the difference and go with 256kbps unless that is not an option of course  
popcorn.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
split the difference and go with 256kbps unless that is not an option of course  
popcorn.gif

Ha! Beat me to it.

Or, you can vary it depending on the track and whether or not you think it's worth the space.

Or... go VBR.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 20
If space is a consideration but you also want quality VBR would be the best option.  LAME's V2 setting would be a good choice (190 kbps average bitrate).  You'll end up with files the same size as 192 kbps but that are actually transparent or at least damn close.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 20
^
Well it's different for everyone. I can use something like v0 vbr for portable or 320kbps of course but v2 is a no go as is 192kbps. Ideally I would use FLAC but that's too much space for my limited capacity (I have 2 daps and they are both 8gb)

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
What is the difference between the two ?

Here you go Luco. For what it's worth, I like VBR and can't tell any difference at all between that and CBR.. I used VBR (highest setting) all the time when I had limited space on my daps.

What is Constant Bit Rate encoding?

[*] Constant Bit Rate (CBR) encoding is an encoding method that varies the quality level in order to ensure a consistent bit rate throughout an encoded file.

What is Variable Bit Rate encoding?

Variable Bit Rate (VBR) is an encoding method that ensures consistent high audio quality throughout an encoded file by making intelligent bit-allocation decisions during the encoding process. VBR encoding produces an overall higher and more consistent quality level than Constant Bit Rate encoding.

And... http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lame

EDIT:  I did not put those huge spaces between the text!
Something weird is going on
eek.gif

Ah, I just closed them up a little. Previews don't seem to be very accurate right now.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 20
Hey soozieq not seen you around here for a while  thought your cat must have had kittens or something
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks for the info ,not sure if that has enlightened me or not ,but not too worry,ill have too read up on those bite rates some more ,i use apple lossless myself

Quote:
Here you go Luco. For what it's worth, I like VBR and can't tell any difference at all between that and CBR.. I used VBR (highest setting) all the time when I had limited space on my daps.

What is Constant Bit Rate encoding?

[*]
Constant Bit Rate (CBR) encoding is an encoding method that varies the quality level in order to ensure a consistent bit rate throughout an encoded file.

What is Variable Bit Rate encoding?

Variable Bit Rate (VBR) is an encoding method that ensures consistent high audio quality throughout an encoded file by making intelligent bit-allocation decisions during the encoding process. VBR encoding produces an overall higher and more consistent quality level than Constant Bit Rate encoding.

And... http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lame

EDIT:  I did not put those huge spaces between the text!
Something weird is going on
eek.gif

Ah, I just closed them up a little. Previews don't seem to be very accurate right now.

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 20
This will get some going. I tend to just go wav if I have the space. FLAC sounds a bit smoothed out in comparison. There is processing noise, additional buffers and added processor load in general so it isn't the same in use. I do think lossless clearly better than 320 and both plenty good enough for on the go depending on kit.
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks soozieq. Different folks are more affected by different things. Something about the timing of VBR doesn't appeal to me but when it comes to compression it's pick your poison. Whenever I get to 320 it's like the somebody just connected the dots.

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 20
(ducking incoming)
popcorn.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 20
I have an 8Gb Walkman and use lame V0.
So far i have 930 songs on it and 2 Gb left.
I'd go V0 and swap and change albums when needed,
Although i doubt you'd notice any difference between V2 and V0 on the Nokia, V0 gives you the peace of mind if you use the mp3s on other devices or your computer in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back