192/24 From Computer to E17
Nov 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

matthiasfan

New Head-Fier
All,

Excuse the "newb" question, as I have searched, but I am not finding what I am looking for.  I found one thread in reference to a mac, but this is for a Windows 7 computer.

I just ordered a Fiio E17 (couldn't pass on the price) which, as I understand, will be able to play 192/24 through the coaxial/optical input.  

My current computer is a Dell Inspiron 580.  The soundcard is stock.

From what I have read, I will need an adapter to make 192/24 possible.  Would it be possible to get a 3.5mm to coaxial/optical adapter to achieve this, or would I have to purchase a separate soundcard that is able to do this?  

Thanks for the input!  

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 5
  All,

Excuse the "newb" question, as I have searched, but I am not finding what I am looking for.  I found one thread in reference to a mac, but this is for a Windows 7 computer.

I just ordered a Fiio E17 (couldn't pass on the price) which, as I understand, will be able to play 192/24 through the coaxial/optical input.  

My current computer is a Dell Inspiron 580.  The soundcard is stock.

From what I have read, I will need an adapter to make 192/24 possible.  Would it be possible to get a 3.5mm to coaxial/optical adapter to achieve this, or would I have to purchase a separate soundcard that is able to do this?  

Thanks for the input!  

According to the specs I found online that computer does not have a digital audio output. On some computers the headphone socket doubles as a mini optical digital output. Sadly not on your computer. There are  some options for getting a digital output though.  You can get a digital output via the USB connection (it won't be 192/24) , or add a second soundcard which has an optical/coax digital output.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Excellent, thanks for the reply.

I am looking at soundcards, and I am wondering if the quality of the soundcard is really that high of a concern, as I would be using the Fiio as the Dac.  

For example, since I am using the Fiio as the dac, would getting:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-PEX63034-Channel-Surround-Envy24DT/dp/B00778G78C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385660756&sr=8-1&keywords=soundcard+spdif

vs. 

http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DGX-PCI-E-GX2-5-Engine/dp/B007TMZ1BK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385660797&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+gx+soundcard

be that big of a difference?

Thanks again!

Greg

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 5
  Excellent, thanks for the reply.

I am looking at soundcards, and I am wondering if the quality of the soundcard is really that high of a concern, as I would be using the Fiio as the Dac.  

For example, since I am using the Fiio as the dac, would getting:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-PEX63034-Channel-Surround-Envy24DT/dp/B00778G78C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385660756&sr=8-1&keywords=soundcard+spdif

vs. 

http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DGX-PCI-E-GX2-5-Engine/dp/B007TMZ1BK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385660797&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+gx+soundcard

be that big of a difference?

Thanks again!

Greg

Neither support 192/24 and both have a lot of poor reviews (18% or 19%) on Newegg. On the whole I would trust ASUS more but that is because I have not heard of Syba till today and Asus make some very technically good stuff, but both examples above seem to have potentially serious issues according to the reviews. Is 24/192 absolutely required ? , if not your E17 has a USB input  which would work with your desktop !

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Good point about the 96/24 still working with usb from the computer.  I was just looking to get the most out of it.

I see the asus xonar ds will do 192/24, but I didn't know if the audiocard would simply act as a pass through.  I guess it has to be able to be able to have the capabilities of playing 192/24 however, in order to be able to pass through that kind of signal.  

I was looking at purchasing some 192/24 tracks, and I wanted to hear them without downsampling.  I know there is a whole discussion on, "is there really a difference," but I wanted to see for myself.  

So at this point, I will need to purchase a soundcard with spdif out and 192/24 capability in order to use the full functionality of the Fiio E17.  

That's what I needed to know, so thanks for the help!  You helped answer my question well.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back