1812 Overture
Sep 14, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
the Telarc recording is so popular because they used real cannons in the recording which produces very low bass down to like 7hz or something like that and is an exceptional recording on top of that.

The Dorati/Mercury recording, which I happen to enjoy, also utilizes actual cannons.

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
best for me is Solti/London/CSO, the final passage has tremendous excitement and swagger that others can't match, I have heard nothing that can top this.

any idea where to find that cd?

also anyone have a suggestion for best recording of Marche Slave?

Sep 14, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Very cool, yes that is it. Thanks, I'll have to order one of the used copies they have. This truly is a very wonderful rendition, nice to see my perception backed up by the reviews.

Check under "used" and you will find listings for "new" as well. Usually cheaper than the Amazon.com quote.

BW

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 30
The vocals are on the Telarc one too. I'm listening to the ****** 69kbps real media one from the telarc site at the moment.

I found out what makes this cd so emotional.
U hear the song the first time you smile.
THen you frown at the ****** quality
Then you cry when u see the price of the sacd.
Then u smile again when Rockinghorse tells u the cd is ready to be picked up.
THen you cry agian (joy this time) when u hear it.

The latter 2 will hopefully happen in the next 3 weeks.

The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra is one of my favourate. Being Viennease myself probably adds bias, but their performacne of Pathetique is breathtaking.

I may consider their 1812 overture as well if just to complete the collection when i get the telarc.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Check under "used" and you will find listings for "new" as well. Usually cheaper than the Amazon.com quote.

BW

Yep, ordered a new copy for $2.99 plus postage, about $6 all told. Not bad. Looking forward to it coming and playing it through my new Senn HD25-1s!!
rs1smile.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
any idea where to find that cd?
also anyone have a suggestion for best recording of Marche Slave?

Unfortunately currently only available as part of 2CD Tchaikovsky set by Solti:
Solti

In the past it has appeared in several 1CD formats, but none currently in catalog.

There is a section of 1812 after first cannon volley when the violins play a swirling style passage almost like a powerful vortex if done right, Solti pulls this off like no one else. Also Solti's fine Elgar "pomp and circumstance" perfomances pay off in spades with the 1812 military march/gallop near the closing comes off with tremendous swagger and bravura.

Marche Slave
There are just as many versions of this as 1812......often you will find them coupled on same CD (Kunzel/Telarc for instance). Can't say that I've ever really tried to compare them all to say what is a reference performance of this.
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 30
I have the newer Telarc DSD recording, the old Telarc recording, and the old 1958 Mercury recording. All of them have their strong points, but I would definitely go with the old Telarc version as the best overall. It has much better cannons than the others, although the Mercury recording puts up a good fight. The newer Telarc recording does little to stress equipment, although the rest of the disk is amazing. The cannons sound like a loud punch, then a very very quiet deep rumble. The old Telarc's are up-in-your face deep bass with an amazing impact. This recording can and will shatter your woofers' cones.
biggrin.gif

Whatever you choose, just remember...if you want cannons, check out the old Telarc.

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #23 of 30
GRRR and it's the new telarc recording I bought. Oh well. Does it still have the Telarc ability to damage anything that plays them? Like i said the 60kbps rm record impressed me, so i've got high hopes for this SACD. (although i don't have an SACD player yet).

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #24 of 30
Apologies for raising an old thread:I was a gunner in the Australian Army Reserves, and we got sent on a mission to fire the guns for the 1812 Overture. Headphones or speakers will never replicate what we felt when we fired those Howitzers! When you get the chance, go and see a live performance

edit: I shouldn't try to recreate the experience at home. Speakers start bunny hopping towards the door and my headphones damn near jump of my head

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #26 of 30
I had to go dig up my copy to see if it was one of the decent ones and its the Solti/London/CSO. I bought it a few years ago from someone here with some other CDs because I like other Tchaikovsky but I don't remember if I ever bothered to listen more than once. Going to rip it now and listen to it soon. I almost dug it out when I saw another exact version at the thrift store a few weeks ago. Another version on vinyl is sitting in the same thrift store so I will have to use the info in this thread to see if its worth grabbing.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #30 of 30
I was going to ask if anyone wanted me pick up that extra copy of Solti/London/CSO on CD but then I remembered how old this thread was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back