18 year old with questions regarding purchasing quality headphones
Mar 28, 2015 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Squidyman1

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am not new to the site, not posting anything though, mostly lurking around on the forums.

TL/DR skip to round it all up.

I have a dilemma. I have found all sorts of great headphones and DACs out there, but it is mostly just confusing me with how many options there are.

I am a senior in high school soon to be in college. I currently rely on my trusty Sennheiser 202 on ear headphones to provide audio. They are great and all, I can throw them in my gym bag and they somehow still work after being put through torture.

They are nice for providing something listen to, but fall short in these areas: passive or active noise cancellation, great sound quality, comfort, replaceable cord, ear pads deteriorating and leaving black bits stuck to my ear.

I listen to classical piano, acoustic songs, occasional pop, video games, and maybe a hint of dubstep. I usually use the DAC built into my Note 4 phone. My experience with audio is mostly building full sized speaker systems (500 watts of bass is fun :D)

As I will be going to college, I would like headphones that block sound, especially sound from other students talking, etc. I will be wearing them for hours while I study, they need to be comfortable. I want them to sound better than what I currently have (since I haven't heard anything better than what I currently have I am not super picky). Durability is good, and removable cord is a plus (soldering on a new cord is a pain).

My music source is Spotify premium. I can get 320kbps sound, though not sure if my phone utilizes it.

I am also curious if I need a dedicated DAC. A post from a while back on the site  with the best DAC under $100. I am considering purchasing a used E10K on ebay.

To round it all up:

what I am looking for...

*active or passive sound cancellation (good enough to almost totally block out someone talking next to me)
*comfortable (for several hours)
*decent sound (I like feeling as if I am in the recording studio)
*durable-ish
*removable/replaceable cord
*price new or used under $150 ($100 would be even better)
*some bass (my current 202s don't have bass period.)

I know $150 is little to spend on headphones for some of you, but remember that I am 18 and don't have a lot of money....

So my question is:

Which pair of headphones would suit me best and do I need a DAC to make a noticeable difference in sound quality?

If someone could please answer this question that would be awesome :)

Heck, if someone has old gear that they know would work great for my situation, I wouldn't mind buying it from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back