18" Shure 530 Extension recommendation 3.5mm male/female
Dec 18, 2009 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DDW

100+ Head-Fier
I have been hassling with the Shure 36" extension on my portable rig for a couple of years now. It is too long and I have to coil it up.

The other option Shure provides is about 6" which is too short.

I carry my rig in a belt pouch.

I finally decided to search for and purchase a quality 18" cable, but I messed up.

I contacted Markertek and told them what I needed. They directed me to a nice Canare cable that I paid for and received the other day.

See: TecNec Cables & Connectors Premium Canare Stereo 3.5mm Mini Male to Female Cables Mini to Mini Cables at Markertek.com

The cable is quite nice and seems very high quality. Sounds fine as well.

But, it is VERY heavy and thick for portable. Each connector feels like a thick solid chunk of metal. And with a THICK cable. Plus, it actually measures more like 24" rather than 18".

I feel like I have one of Mr.T's Chains hanging from my ears.

Truthfully, I weighed it and it is close to 3 ounces.

But, if you consider that my Shure earphones "Combined" with about 60" or so of Shure factory cable only weighs about 1 ounce, the extension is just rediculously thick and heavy for a portable rig and IEM's.

What is a good quality extension cable that is of "Reasonable" weight for portable rig and Shure IEM's????

I need 3.5mm male/female connectors and prefer about 18".

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 3
That kind of cable will only destroy your SE530 sooner or later. The weight of the connectors will put a lot of pressure on the wires into the drivers, which will make them break any time.

It's almost impossible to hear the loss in sound when using the extension cable so just choose a soft, flexible and cheap one, then you'll be fine. I used this one with my SE530s and they worked together like charms.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks lil-knight.

As far as destroying my SE530, I actually rigged a clip to hold the wire to help prevent hanging from my ears. And I try HARD to be VERY carefully with my Shure wires and connectors as they appear to require such care. But, I only used the heavy cable one time and felt it was just silly.

I had not really compared the factory extension to a cheap molded vs. high end cable.

But, there doesn't seem to me to be a whole lot special about the Shure wires.

I am one who generally feels that there are definitely some quality cables vs. cheap ones. But, the law of diminishing returns is HUGE in cables.
I am not one who happily pays BIG bucks for cables.

I had seen some options at Radio Shack online for around $8 I think.

I will do a closer comparison as a couple of bucks one way or another might just be close enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back