$18 JVC Marshmallow better than $140 Phonak Audeo PFE - how/why??!?!?!?
Oct 18, 2009 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

pianoplayer88key

100+ Head-Fier
Ok... so I've been on here periodically asking about recommendations for headphones to buy. For a while I had been using the Panasonic RP-HT355, but those were apparently being discontinued if I remember correctly, and I wanted better quality, more durable, better sounding/isolating, etc headphones. So, based on recommendations, I purchased the $140 Phonak Audeo PFEs around early March 2009. Around mid may, the left side basically just about failed (I could still hear something but it was >40dB lower than the right side), the cables were cracking and exposing the internal wire, etc.

So, I ended up blowing $18 or so on the JVC Marshmallows right before Memorial Day Weekend (late May) 2009. Interestingly enough, the ear tips on the JVC would actually stay in my ear better and seal at least as well if not better than the large ones on the Phonak, it actually sounds quite good to my ear, especially for the price, and is probably a little easier to drive than the Phonak. (Sure, it's not nearly loud enough for some things on my computer (especially when I play music that was somehow recorded improperly from another source and the peak is -6dB, and average is more like -24dB or so), but that's probably due to the anemic amp on my computer's on-board sound.)

Here it is mid October 2009, and while the ear tips on the JVCs occasionally like to come off (and they need to be cleaned - any suggestions how to do that?), they have so far outperformed AND outlasted the Phonaks in just about every way. For example, the $140 Phonaks barely lasted 2 months before major failure, (early March to Mid May 2009) and the $18 JVCs are still working perfectly fine after 4-5 months (I thought I bought them right before Memorial Day weekend, but I find a post on here dated 6-12-2009 that says I had bought them (but that post doesn't say when if I remember correctly) to October 2009).

Sure I'd love to have much better isolation, and better overall sound, but I feel like I may have gotten at least some of my money's worth out of the JVCs, but the Phonaks were an utter failure.

So why would the cheapies actually BEAT the more expensive ones, in spite of the fact that I didn't baby the JVCs any more than I
did (NOT!) the Phonaks?

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 25
I've seen a couple of threads about the Phonak's failing. If yours is still under warranty, you could send it to them to fix it. It also sounds like you did not have a good seal with Phonaks. Fit is the most important part of an IEM. It could be also that you like the bassier (if thats a word) sound signature of the JVC than the neutral sound of the Phonaks.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JUDOHAWK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you like the Marshmallows, but when I had a pair I did not like them at all.

Same, I did the kramer mod to them and I still didn't like them, I preferred my NE-7m over them.

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #5 of 25
hk1388, I don't know if they would take mine back. For one thing the box is pretty badly mangled up from having been put somewhere where it was easily trampled. For another, look at some other threads/posts I've had on the subject - ppl were getting on me for not babying them - treating them like the military-grade tanks I expected them to be built like at the >$100 price.

Judohawk, sure there is definitely room for improvement, but so far it is the best value I've had in headphones of any that I've EVER bought that I can remember. How would you compare it to other equal or lesser-priced phones?

mythless, what's this kramer mod you speak of? And what are the NE-7m phones - are they the same price, just better overall?

Of course I'd be willing to pay some more for better headphones (maybe up to $144 or so for ones that are (144/18=)8 times dB more isolating, have 1/8th the variation in dB tolerance over its specified frequency response, has a high end extending 8 times (3 octaves) higher and low end extending 8 times (3 octaves) lower, last 8 times as long in spite of being treated 8 times rougher ... basically I expect them to outlast AND outperform the Marshmallows in every way (or rather than 8 times in each individual category, maybe 8^8^8^8^8^8^8^8 times better overall (# of times more expensive raised to its own power #-1 times). (I'm not in the market for anything really right now, though.) Would I be getting into the category, though, of greatly increasing price with little increasing return?

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 25
well returning is typically just the earphone itself without the tips on them so the box wouldnt matter much

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 25
Kramer mod is removing the foam inside the tip and replacing it with a newer/less stuff foam or opened. The NE07m are $50USD, but to my ears, and probably many others, it is superior to the JVC in just about everything.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 25
My JVC Marshmallows have lasted since before I graduated high school (4 years at least) and it continues to work even to this day although I think the left side has gotten a bit quiet (verified that my left ear is not suffering hearing loss). My FX33 has lasted through rain, being dropped into a full sink, three years of gym workouts. It might be cheap, but it's certainly got the will to survive.

The Kramer mod is very helpful in unleashing the mids and highs in the Marshmallows but they may become harsh to some. I preferred the Marshmallows with decored short Comply tips from my Westone UM1. It became overwhelmingly bassy to the point that it was funny. It was actually enjoyable though because with the bass, there were also treble and mids. To be honest, had I not given my FX33 to my mother for her to use at work, I would probably use them more than I use my UM1.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 25
Fact is that although some here will never admit it , the difference between some 'budget' earphones and much more expensive ones is sometimes not that large.
I have Klipsch Custom 1/2 and Shure SE420 as my expensive ones and loads of other that were all under £50, my Sony EX75SL was fantastic value at £15 and i would use it daily , it broke recently and i went back to my Custom 2s.
I realised fairly quickly that the Sonys were better in some respects than the 10* more expensive Klipsch.
I recently bought Klipsch X1 , £25 and it is better than my Custom 1 at everything except some classical/acoustic tracks.

Its the same with certain headphones, i have Grado SR80i and was going to upgrade to 225i but it simply isnt worth the cash for the tiny improvement the 225i represents.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 25
Seriously, if the marshies had a nicer sound signature they'd be my go-to portable buds.

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 25
i lost my ue5 super 5 pros and got some marshmallows as a tie me over till my next real IEM, i was pleasantly surprised. They sound very similar to my UE5 pros, so maybe those just sucked. I prob will realize the difference though when I get my UM3X's

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 25
A lot of it has to do with personal preference and what you value in terms of sound. Many times it's much less a matter of if the headphone is actually good or not from a scientific standpoint. For example, the V-Moda Vibe is a scientifically crappy earphone. It is critically faulted in areas of stage presence, location, separation, and does not have a smooth or accurate frequency response. It rolls off on both ends but not early enough to really care. A bit of the sound is muddy and poorly controlled. However, in the end, it is still a decent enough sounding and fun to listen to earphone. It has good bass response and a big, full sound. There's enough top end sparkle to be likable too. It's fun, it's enjoyable, it's crap, but I would still not mind listening to it versus some scientifically better headphones.

When discussing headphones, just understand the difference between personal preference and raw function.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same, I did the kramer mod to them and I still didn't like them, I preferred my NE-7m over them.

The only mod that I have found that works on the JVC's is the trashcan mod. You wad them up and throw them in the trashcan.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only mod that I have found that works on the JVC's is the trashcan mod. You wad them up and throw them in the trashcan.

lol, to tell you the truth, that's where they ended up lol.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 25
PianoPlayer, the pair of Senn CX300s I got on amazon for 16 sound better to me than the marshies. Granted the CX300's are nowhere near the best, but I like them much better than the marshmallows, and I was turned off by the marshies in like the first 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back