1600x1200 LCDs?
May 3, 2005 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Nikos

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking in Costco the other day and saw a Princeton LCD for $630 that had a 1600x1200 resolution.

I really want an LCD at that resolution.

But I keep reading reviews around the net that say they had trouble with DEAD pixels. I am not sure exactly what this means....but are all LCD's under $700-800 at that resolution prone to breaking or having dead pixels within a year? Are they that fragile and unreliable?

Where can I get a reliable and relatively cheap 1600x1200 monitor?

Any help would be great, Thanks!

May 3, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 35
A dead pixel is no biggie. It is just a teeny tiny red/black spot on the lcd. This is a very common find in LCD monitors because there are millions of liquid crystals on the lcd, so the larger the screen, the more likely dead pixels. However, these dead pixels are barely noticable. You would have to look really close to see the dead pixels.

May 3, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 35
Any lcd panel at any price point is prone to dead/stuck pixels, it's just the nature of the beast. I run a Dell 2405FPW 24" widescreen lcd and an 1800FP 18" lcd, the 24" has 1 stuck pixel, the 18" is perfect.

Dell is currently offering a 20" lcd with a native resolution of 1600X1200 for $599, here's a link:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...ctlisting.aspx

Do you do any gaming?

May 3, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 35
I do not do gaming, but I like to do photo editing.

I also like to use Microsoft Excel, and I have lots of icons on my desktop.

Also I like to visit sites with alot of graphics, stats, and info in tight spaces. I like to have a nice high resolution.

Is the Princeton monitor any good?

May 3, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 35
I second the 20.1" dell 2001. A very good monitor at a very good price. Mine has no dead or stuck pixels and after caliberating the color, it is a pretty nice monitor for photoshop.

May 4, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 35
I have a dell 2405 and there are no dead pixels. Or at least i have
not found any, and i've looked very hard. The 2405 is samsung glass
built by benq in china.

Not sure where the other dell monitor is made.

newegg has the samsung labeled 21.3 at $569 after $100 rebate.
Absolutely fabulous monitor, i have one of these too.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824001113

May 4, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 35
Ok I will get either the Dell or Samsung tommrow.

Which one has better specs or reviews?

Has anyone ever seen both and thought one was better than the other?

May 4, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 35
hmm... I always thought Dell used Viewsonic panels...

If you wait a little while, dell usually has amazing deals on their monitors, i.e. the 2001fp was like $400 last week after rebates. They usually have these rebate deals every month or two, so if you can hold out a while, you will save money.
check websites like www.slickdeals.net regularly.

May 4, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 35
Honestly, this is the wrong forum to get a good answer and you're better off going to anandtech and asking them or perhaps doing some good old fashioned research on the net.

I play graphically intensive games (where the picture changes a lot, which requires high response time), and my brand of choice generally is Samsung. Their monitors are generally high quality and with good warantee, but best of all for a gamer is that the response time on some of the Synchmasters is 8ms. Samsung just came out with some new monitors, the 19" 930b among them, but this only goes to 1280x1024 or something like that. I would check out too see if they came out with a new 20" or so, because this new series is rather cheap and there seems to be some good rebates at certain stores on them. The only issue you might have with a Samsung that I know of is dead pixels (all of them have this, though) and backlighting issues. The 930b I've heard isn't great in the latter respect, but for most people it's not a big issue. All it means is that when the screen is pitch black it's not perfectly uniform near the bottom and top; it's a bit brighter than it should be, but it's almost never noticable since the screen isn't usually all black there.

Oh, and by the way, if I weren't to get a Samsung, Dell wouldn't be second in line. I think Hyundai makes some decent monitors.

The 19" Samsung 930b is $350 at my local Best Buy after rebates, which is an amazing deal, I think. It's one of the best gaming LCD's you can get, and someone told me that side by side, the Samsung compares favorably with the Sony Trinitron series which is $600+.

May 4, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 35
Since you're probably not gaming, this looks decent price wise: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...=us&l=en&cs=19

I don't know anything about it, so just see what's out there and then look for some reviews. Things you want to find out are: dead pixel policies, response time, backlight bleeding, warantee, if it has other issues such as horizontal black lines, brightness, overall picture quality.

Edit: There aren't exactly any stats that tell you how nice a monitor looks, so read what people think, and hopefully you can find a knowledgeable person's opinion on the monitor who can tell you relative to his/her experiences with other LCD's. Some monitors are too bright so the picture is washed out. Some have uneven color if they have really bad backlighting issues. The brightness spec (eg, 300 cd/m²) will give you a general idea of relatively how bright it is. The contrast ratio will tell you how strongly the dark and the bright differ (eg, 600:1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back