160 Gig Classic...
Dec 26, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 13
Wow...talk about your surprises. I see it's no longer on the Apple Store site.

Huh...

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 13
Yeah, when the 120GB Classic was announced, the 160GB version went into almost-immediate retirement.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 13
hmm.i found a 160gb at 250 bucks.wonder if its worth it.

SG dollars btw

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquished /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.i found a 160gb at 250 bucks.wonder if its worth it.

It's worth it if you have (or plan to have) a large library of music and/or videos. My entire CD library is stored on the 160GB and serves as my 'permanent' DAP connected to the home sound system. But if you are looking for an iPod with the hopes of using Apple's latest iTunes offerings such as Genius then you're out of luck. Only the newer iPod models support new features which is Apple's throw-away-tech mentality.

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 13
I am actually rather surprised at the first classics did not get Genius, I mean I thought I'd never be saying this but considering that FIRST generation Zunes can still get new firmware and stuff as in the new ones

Dec 26, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Yeah, /me wonder why as well.
Especially since it was replaced by a smaller capacity one, and not a larger capacity one...

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waveblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am actually rather surprised at the first classics did not get Genius, I mean I thought I'd never be saying this but considering that FIRST generation Zunes can still get new firmware and stuff as in the new ones

Yup. Apple just want people's money in a bad way. I really like Microsoft's approach to the Zune updates. Besides, imo, the Zune player and software is much superior to iPod/iTunes. The battery life that could be improved on the Zune, however.

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 13
annoyed... sent one [160] back, faulty / canceled order. got the 120 a week later. meh, i hadn't filled it, but was warming to it's large space... shame

i'm waiting for the big solid state drives to rectify this... when they become cheap enough.

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. Apple just want people's money in a bad way. I really like Microsoft's approach to the Zune updates. Besides, imo, the Zune player and software is much superior to iPod/iTunes. The battery life that could be improved on the Zune, however.

It does have a bigger screen which probably results in this as the flash ones have similar battery life to the nanos

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 13
There was a recent thread similar to this one. My theory is that the 160GB just didn't sell as well as Apple would have liked, so it was discontinued.

I personally don't think many consumers out there have audio collections so vast, and with ALAC, as to justify its continued existence. (Head-Fi'ers being the exception, of course! I could fill 160GB, very easily).

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 13
My local music store still has a 160Gb in stock. Are you saying the software is not the same as the 120Gb and that it won't support Genius?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back