16 Bit 44100 Flac files- is this the highest quality I can get?
Oct 1, 2005 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

IronLion

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this, I am kind of curious to know if I ripped these files incorrectly (even though I configured my version of EAC according to the Hydrogen Audio Forums suggested settings) or if I am simply worrying about something I shouldn't. What I want to know is if I should have been able to rip 24 bit sound quality files from standard redbook CD's? I think I saw in other people's screenshots of their Foobar setups that they have 24 bit FLAC files (I use lossless FLAC, by the way) and when I play mine in my newly configured Foobar I see that mine are only 16 bit. Is this something that I could have avoided by ripping my CD's some other way, or does this not really affect the quality of the audio? I use a Bel Canto DAC 2 fed by a Waveterminal U24, so I am wondering if by not feeding the DAC 2 a 24 bit signal (although I think the Waveterminal makes the audio output signal 24 bit possibly?) it is not able to upsample properly or effectively or something, even though the audio that comes out of it sounds fine.

Oct 1, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by IronLion
Hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this, I am kind of curious to know if I ripped these files incorrectly (even though I configured my version of EAC according to the Hydrogen Audio Forums suggested settings) or if I am simply worrying about something I shouldn't. What I want to know is if I should have been able to rip 24 bit sound quality files from standard redbook CD's?

AFAIK that's not possible... redbook CD audio is always 16-bit. You can upsample at *playback time* but there's no benefit at all (that I know of) to upsampling the originals after ripping.

Oct 1, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 6
poeple who have 24bit files are usually either listening to a DVD-A rip or possibly a rip from an analog source (like for example... vinyl)

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 6
Shhh...the DVD-A rip hack never happened. It was all a figment of your imagination.

Oct 4, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 6
so these 24bit 96Khz tracks from [WITH_TEETH] just appeared on my HD magically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back