16 & 24 bit Dac?
Jan 22, 2006 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kraco

Head-Fier
Would one actually be able to hear the difference between 16 & 24 bit USB Dac's if they were be used with a computer as a source? Or are there other factors that would have to come into play also? Thanks!

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 5
AFAIK the CD sound files are 16 bit, so if you get to 24 is through some kind of oversampling. Don't think you'll get much more sound when there is no more in the source file.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf
AFAIK the CD sound files are 16 bit, so if you get to 24 is through some kind of oversampling. Don't think you'll get much more sound when there is no more in the source file.

So for the average listener a 24 bit dac shouldn't really matter then, right? And if I were buying a new dac to listen to Cd's or MP3's I've downloaded a 24 bit dac wouldn't be of any use to me, is that correct? Thanks!

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 5
If you are using a mp3s or other lossy files, watch movies, play games, etc. on the computer, you can benefit from 24bit output.

There is a difference in the sound between 16bit and 24bit output. You can hear it on the same sound device if you toggle the modes. I myself wouldn't bother with a 16bit connection or device.

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
If you are using a mp3s or other lossy files, watch movies, play games, etc. on the computer, you can benefit from 24bit output.

There is a difference in the sound between 16bit and 24bit output. You can hear it on the same sound device if you toggle the modes. I myself wouldn't bother with a 16bit connection or device.

Thanks lan!

Let me ask you this, if you had to pick between two dac's, the Waveterminal U24 which is 24bit and the new Corda Aria which 16bit that seems to be very popular right now, which one would you get? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back