150USD IEM, not bassy. Moondrop Arias too muddy for me.
Sep 13, 2021 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

raymanh

100+ Head-Fier
Today I went and tested a load of IEMs, including the hyped Moondrop Arias. With the exception of a couple, they all sounded very bass heavy and muddy, including the Arias.

The standout were the Tipsy Blue Aurora's which seemed much more balanced to me. However the reviews for this are not that great, so I'm questioning my judgement from my admittedly rather short time with them. I did see after that the Blue Aurora's are BA IEMs while most of the others I tried were DD's, so perhaps I prefer BA's.

Anyone with any recommendations for me, perhaps from those who also seem to prefer less bass? I'm looking at 150USD max and easy to drive (I'll be using it out and about using my phone's 3.5mm jack).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Used Jvc fdx1 can be found in that range and are excellent. Green filter sounds right up your alley.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 4
Etymotic ER3XR are BA and clear, analytical and natural. They also have a slight bass boost that keeps them from sounding sterile. Sounds like they'd fit your preferences. I like mine.

They go deeper in the ear than most IEMs. The fit is very personal. I like them with the gray foam tips rather than the triple flanges shown on the box.

There is a ridiculous long-running deal on Adorama that takes the $170 price down to $70. If the fit doesn't work for you, then you can return them for an $11 shipping cost. Open the shrink-wrapped package carefully so you don't rip the outer package of the Etys.

https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?emailprice=T

You may also be able to get returned ones (probably with ripped packages) even cheaper there.

From reviews I've also seen the NF NM2+ might fit your taste; haven't heard it myself, but you can research.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back