$150 Millett Hybrid vs. $150 Pimeta vs. $150 Dynalo
Mar 5, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
Monkey, which cans you're talikng about? Isn't 8620 too bright with Grados?...what kind of music?
I tried SR-60 with 2107, and it was still bright and...thin...like 2132 with Senn...but pleasing for Dream Theater or AOR

Have you tried 843 with Senn 595?

580smile.gif

Just because both the op-amp and the headphones are considered "bright" doesn't mean that they will sound "bright" in tandem.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
Just because both the op-amp and the headphones are considered "bright" doesn't mean that they will sound "bright" in tandem.

My sentiments exactly.

Xakepa - I tried the Pimeta with my HF-1 running the 2132, 2227 and the AD8620, and I found the 8620 much more satisfying. I found that the 2227 especially was uninvolving and lacked impact, which is difficult to accomplish with the HF-1. I wouldn't call the HF-1 laid back with the 8620, but I actually think it synergizes well with the Grados. Perhaps having the gain set to 4 helps?

I haven't tried the 843, yet, but I hope to do so soon.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #18 of 22
Thanks everyone.

I think im going to go with a Millett Hybrid, since it will fit within my budget as well I have a Toroid transformer waiting to be used.

I just have a couple more questions.

Is a Toroid (20v-0-20v) with dual secondaries @ 4amps, compatible with a TREAD setup for my purposes?

Usually what is better:

Toroid + TREAD
or
Wallwart + TREAD?

Since I live in Canada, it is quite hard for me to source Wima MKP caps, would it be possible to use Wima FKP caps for a Millett amp? Would there be any differences?

Thanks

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #19 of 22
You will like the Millet.

Your transformer may be too much of a good thing. I think most people (as well as myself) run 27VDC max into the Millet. If you used your transformer that is quite a lot of volts to drop through the treads regulator and usually wimpy heat sink. Plus that is a waste of a really nice 20-0-20 toroid
k1000smile.gif

I can run my Millet from a Steps using a 24VAC amveco toroid or a Tread driven with a 24VAC 700ma wallwart. Both are outputing 27V DC. My Millet is drawing around 290ma once it settles down and warms up; that is with discrete buffers and 20ma for the LEDs. I think it draws up to 400ma very briefly while the caps charge up. They both sound the same to me.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 22
well can't I just parallel the secondary leads to give me 20v AC and after rectification and TREAD components pump out 28V DC, then drop the voltage down to 24v DC?? (unless im doing something wrong)

If not I think I would have to go hunting for another toroid.

Originally I bought this toroid to start a Chipamp Gainclone, but got into Head-fi'ing instead
580smile.gif
. Good thing I found it pretty cheap though $10 CAD at a surplus store.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 22
Whitewind,

I was just thinking that trying to squeeze 28V regulated out of a nominal 20VAC might be a bit much. I don't recall anyone saying they successfully configured their PSU that way. Doesn't mean it won't work, it's just not the usual thing that seems to be done. It will be loafing along, of course, which could make it work, since there will be little voltage sag from the unloaded voltage. Just seems to be skirting the lower edge of the AC volts it needs.

I just played with Tangent's calculator and it appears that you have 1.5V "extra" with your configuration, based on 25VAC unloaded (my wild guess). If it works it might be the coolest running Millet driving Tread ever built!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back