$150 Max Headphones
May 11, 2010 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Chaos84Camaro

New Head-Fier
Hey there, my recent headphones have given up on me and I'm looking for new ones. I'm looking at something at a max of $150 and as long as they aren't in ear phones, I don't care what kind they are. I'm looking for soundstage and SQ; noise suppression is marginal as I really don't care about what other people hear from my music. I've been reading a lot of the ATH-50M but I want some direct opinions.

May 11, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 13
Shure SRH840. For soundstage you can't really look past the AD700s but they leak like crazy.

May 11, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 13
I have the M50s, they sound great to me but are a little uncomfortable.  Generally, open headphones are more comfortable on my head, though that's quite a generalization.  There's a ton of headphones that fit your budget and the only way to make an informed decision is to listen to some of them before buying one.  There used to be a sticky somewhere on here with a bunch of different headphones by type and price but with this new awful layout I don't know where they are.

May 11, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 13
You could always save a heap of dosh and get some KSC75s

May 11, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 13
Hello sir, you've a lot of options, but soundstaging for such a price range is VERY tough.

When you say $150 is my budget and i want great soundstage, you only have two options as Mr. job and Galactus have said.  The AD-700 and the Sennheiser HD595.  Both of which can be purchased here on head fi for that price.  Both of these sets lack in musical quality, but their detail and soundstage presence is very nice. 

I wouldnt go near the M50, it doesnt meet your needs in the slightest :\ If you are dead set on a closed back set, then it would be the Shure 840 without question.  If you are thinking of the M50, skip it and get the 840 because you can game with it.  I use it to play CODMw2 on the pc every day and do just fine with it.  Left is left, behind me is behind me, doesnt do anywhere near the job of the 595 or AD700, but for MUSIC it beats them hands down...IMO its more well rounded.

May 11, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Shure SRH840. For soundstage you can't really look past the AD700s but they leak like crazy.

Quote:
Hello sir, you've a lot of options, but soundstaging for such a price range is VERY tough.

When you say $150 is my budget and i want great soundstage, you only have two options as Mr. job and Galactus have said.  The AD-700 and the Sennheiser HD595.  Both of which can be purchased here on head fi for that price.  Both of these sets lack in musical quality, but their detail and soundstage presence is very nice. 

I wouldnt go near the M50, it doesnt meet your needs in the slightest :\ If you are dead set on a closed back set, then it would be the Shure 840 without question.  If you are thinking of the M50, skip it and get the 840 because you can game with it.  I use it to play CODMw2 on the pc every day and do just fine with it.  Left is left, behind me is behind me, doesnt do anywhere near the job of the 595 or AD700, but for MUSIC it beats them hands down...IMO its more well rounded.

Does the Shure need an amp or is it fine on it's own?

Quote:
The DT770 pros have a fantastic sounstage. Are you using them for gaming? 

No, not really, I just love being able to pinpoint instruments in a setting. Also, I hear the DT770s have a large bass bias.

Quote:
You can try some used Ultrasones, the Pro/PL models have bigger sound stage compare to the HFI models.

Never heard of them... hmmm.

May 25, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 13
The open-back HD 595 and ATH-AD700 sound good w/o amp, and both will scale up well with a good amp. The closed-back ATH-A700 may work too; it gives you somewhat bigger soundstage with a slightly dryer mid range (if you heard the warm HD 595 before). Low impedance Ultrasone offerings should also give you good soundstage w/o a big amp.  

Do not buy any headphone with over 150 ohms of impedance for sure (i.e., HD 580/600/650). Also AKG K701/702 is definitely not for you, despite their specs. Denon and Grados are not known for their soundstage, so you might want to pass them on too.

May 25, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 13
SRH-840 are easily powered without amp. So are the M50.
The Shure's are more neutral and to my ears are great studio monitor cans. I couldn't wear them due to their weight and lack of headband padding.
The M50 can be tight on the head for some (can be stretched-out), but not me. I find them comfortable. They boost the bass and suppress the mids... both slightly, but I enjoy that for my use of them.

I wouldn't consider the DT770 without a good amp. Big and not 'portable'. Great sound, though. To my ear, the DT770/600 is not too bassy.

Just my take on these three...
regular_smile .gif

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back