<$150 iems with proven build quality+comfortable
Apr 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pi3guy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Back in 2009/10, I got caught up in the flavor-of-the-month type IEMs and was burned by the poor build quality/ quality control of the early Phonak PFE and the Head-direct RE0. 

So, I am looking for an IEM under $150 usd that has been available for at least 2 years with a great record in build quality. I have considered the Etymotic HF5 but I think because of their deep insertion I would find them uncomfortable. Metal construction is not required. As seen from RE0, metal construction means 0 if quality control isn't there.

Sound wise, I am willing to make some compromises to detail if I can get better construction. I listen mainly with Audio Technica AD700, so any similar sound signature is a plus. Both RE0 and PFE were acceptable in terms of sound quality. I do not enjoy huge bass or a very bright sound. 

Thanks for reading

PFE/RE0 experiences:
The plastic casing on the PFE cracked within weeks; I exchanged it, cracked again. I returned it under warranty.

The glue holding RE0 right metal casing came apart within a year of purchase. I was lucky not to lose any small parts as I was walking outside when it happened. I sent it back for a replacement. The replacement unit showed obvious re-gluing on the same side as my originals. Now, 4 years after purchase, the right side driver has died. Recabling didn't help, so I am fairly certain it's the driver. I have been extremely careful with it as it was my most expensive IEM. It is out of warranty, and the only help I got from Head-Direct is to purchase some out of box RE0s for $50. Nice try.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 4
Perhaps try the Brainwavz M2 and install some Comply T-400 foam tips.  They are very comfortable this way and have a great sound.

You can check out the graphs here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

My only gripe is that cord does not stay straight and is slightly microphonic. A decent clip takes care of that problem.

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 4
@ Na blur

Thanks for the reply. Any particular reason you recommend the Brainwavz?

I am leaning towards the RHA MA750 right now. They are newer than I'd prefer but that 3 year warranty sounds excellent. Probably more bass than I'm used to. Does anyone know if they are manufactured in the UK?

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Brainwavz have great reviews here and are relatively cheap.  They are well made and the sound and comfort are excellent for the price.  I am not familiar with the RHA MA750.  Perhaps take a look over at joker's master IEM review sheet here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-313-iems-compared-t-peos-tank-added-03-31-14-p-889

From the looks of his review they also receive excellent marks.

I would not hesitate going with the RHA MA750 either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back