~$150 IEM's for EDM (Hifiman RE262, TF10, VSonic GR07)
Aug 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

CharliyuAndCo

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the market for a new pair of IEM's and I listen to almost only EDM, mostly Dubstep, DnB, and Electro-house. I have a Digizoid Zo v1 and I use an iPhone 4S and a Sansa Clip + as the sources. Sound quality, comfort and isolation are the priorities. I have done some searching and I have narrowed it down to basically these three:

Hifiman RE262
TF10
VSonic GR07

If you think others would be better, please recommend them!

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 21
The GR07 is exactly what you're looking for. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 21
The TF10s will do justice better for those genres than the GR07 and RE262. Bass seems to be a priority in those genres (seriously, who wants to listen to dubstep without strong bass?) and the TF10s beat all of them in bass. Instead of those IEMs, why not look into an Atrio?

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
I am in the market for a new pair of IEM's and I listen to almost only EDM, mostly Dubstep, DnB, and Electro-house. I have a Digizoid Zo v1 and I use an iPhone 4S and a Sansa Clip + as the sources. Sound quality, comfort and isolation are the priorities. I have done some searching and I have narrowed it down to basically these three:
Hifiman RE262
TF10
VSonic GR07
If you think others would be better, please recommend them!

I think you just set yourself up for a 3-sided knife XD...  You statements that you want something good for electronic (so SQ should tend to that as well) but also want comfort and isolation.

The TF10 IMO would be the best, signature-wise, for EDM.  It's not comfortable for many though :frowning2:
The VSonic, as stated, should suit what you want, but lacks isolation as stated.
The RE262 is a sweeter sound that may not play too well with EDM. 

Please note that everything stated is based on the wide array of things I've read and seen about each IEM. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 21
Owning both GRO7 and TF10, they're both good for these genre's though different. TF10 shows better dynamics sounding fuller with more body, bass has better texture with more punch giving a sub woofer approach (as much as BA can) GRO7 lacks body and will not sound as full, also because it's really missing any mid bass hump in tracks it can sound thin, though has greater natural timbre which gives better grind to the mids and treble.

It depends....if you want a fun involving signature TF10 are better suited, if you would prefer a much more audiophile approach while sacrificing dynamics GRO7 are more natural in their presentation though lack separation, some micro detailing compared with a wider soundstage. Don't get me wrong they're both very 'very good'. The plus side to TF10 is it's sensitivity, being driven much easier from portable players, they go LOUD.

If you add an amp to GRO7 the competition gets closer sensitivity wise, with some EQ from an amp like E11 dynamics really improve though without an amp GRO7 won't sound it's best imo requiring a lot more volume to reach suitable listneing levels from your player, and for rocking out levels? the sound will lean towards thin and edgey before achieving it un-amped, something TF10 won't blink twice about. This is my opinion, others may say differently, I can only tell you what I experience owning both for several months now. If I had to choose one of the two I would take TF10 because although it doesn't have that natural timbre within detailing it is the all round better performer and I lean for it every-time. GRO7 is something I have to be in the mood for.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 21
Thank you all for your replies!

Quote:
The TF10s will do justice better for those genres than the GR07 and RE262. Bass seems to be a priority in those genres (seriously, who wants to listen to dubstep without strong bass?) and the TF10s beat all of them in bass. Instead of those IEMs, why not look into an Atrio?

Is the Atrio MG7 up to par in terms of sound quality with the rest of the IEMs on the list?

Quote:

I think you just set yourself up for a 3-sided knife XD...  You statements that you want something good for electronic (so SQ should tend to that as well) but also want comfort and isolation.

The TF10 IMO would be the best, signature-wise, for EDM.  It's not comfortable for many though :frowning2:
The VSonic, as stated, should suit what you want, but lacks isolation as stated.
The RE262 is a sweeter sound that may not play too well with EDM. 

Please note that everything stated is based on the wide array of things I've read and seen about each IEM. 

Haha, I guess I have. What do you mean when you say that the the RE262 won't be good for EDM? From what I've read, it seems to have a balanced signature. Also, with the ZO, I can add some bass of my own. One of the reviewers had the ZO and said that they worked well together.

Quote:
Owning both GRO7 and TF10, they're both good for these genre's though different. TF10 shows better dynamics sounding fuller with more body, bass has better texture with more punch giving a sub woofer approach (as much as BA can) GRO7 lacks body and will not sound as full, also because it's really missing any mid bass hump in tracks it can sound thin, though has greater natural timbre which gives better grind to the mids and treble.
It depends....if you want a fun involving signature TF10 are better suited, if you would prefer a much more audiophile approach while sacrificing dynamics GRO7 are more natural in their presentation though lack separation, some micro detailing compared with a wider soundstage. Don't get me wrong they're both very 'very good'. The plus side to TF10 is it's sensitivity, being driven much easier from portable players, they go LOUD.
If you add an amp to GRO7 the competition gets closer sensitivity wise, with some EQ from an amp like E11 dynamics really improve though without an amp GRO7 won't sound it's best imo requiring a lot more volume to reach suitable listneing levels from your player, and for rocking out levels? the sound will lean towards thin and edgey before achieving it un-amped, something TF10 won't blink twice about. This is my opinion, others may say differently, I can only tell you what I experience owning both for several months now. If I had to choose one of the two I would take TF10 because although it doesn't have that natural timbre within detailing it is the all round better performer and I lean for it every-time. GRO7 is something I have to be in the mood for.

Great write up!
I guess that takes the GR07's out of the running; I need something that I can listen to all the time and it seems the TF10 is better than the GR07 for that.

The contenders are now:
TF10
RE262
Atrio MG7

Thanks, guys!

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #13 of 21
i have 3 of them + ZO. if you have ZO, it will best go with GR07. it will make the bass more punchy. RE262 best if you have powerful amp. We still can play around with the tips to improve the isolation of GR07.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
i have 3 of them + ZO. if you have ZO, it will best go with GR07. it will make the bass more punchy. RE262 best if you have powerful amp. We still can play around with the tips to improve the isolation of GR07.

Will the TF10's not go well with the ZO? If not, is the signature of the GR07 with the ZO better than the TF10 with or without the ZO?

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 21
imo, tf10 is a bit muddy. it will more take to burn in in your brain compare to GR07.
Plus ZO sound signature is warm + more bass, it will make TF10 too much bass.
I prefer GR07+ ZO then TF10 (with or without ZO).
But different person might feel differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back