$150 Headphone gift suggestions
Feb 22, 2005 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sant430

500+ Head-Fier
My cousin is slowly getting involved more and more into music. He's got a later model ipod (20 gig). It's amped with a MisterX MINT, and he uses either ex71s or Shure e2c's. I'd like to get him some cans for his birthday that are in the $150 price range, give or take.

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks would sound best with his setup......

He listens to a variety of music with a slant to hip hop

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 11
i dont know much about amps but i would assume that the e3c's and the er-6i's would be done more justice coming from a MINT. Since he already has the e2c's i would say that the e3c's are a good bet with the er6i's being acceptable too. but i have heard that the er6i's are lacking in bass but they have better highs compared to the e3c's. there are a ton of threads comparing the two so you might want to look around for what you think he would like more.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 11
If you dont mind headphones vs. canal, get him a Sik DiN, a mini to mini, and some SR-60's and it would sound great. And you would be under your $150 number by some depending on what kind of mini you get. If you want canal phones, I would think his best bet would be the shure E3's. But get him a pocket dock of some sort also. There only like $30. Im assuming he is using his amp straight out of the iPods headphone jack. He might already have one.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by waltermeyer
If you dont mind headphones vs. canal, get him a Sik DiN, a mini to mini, and some SR-60's and it would sound great. And you would be under your $150 number by some depending on what kind of mini you get. If you want canal phones, I would think his best bet would be the shure E3's. But get him a pocket dock of some sort also. There only like $30. Im assuming he is using his amp straight out of the iPods headphone jack. He might already have one.

he's got a decent mini to mini, so i wouldn't have to worry about that, but the sr60s and the sik din isn't a bad idea.

I'm leaning more towards headphones instead of canal phones since he's already got the ex71s and the e2c's...............

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
the A500 or HD280 would be a nice starting pair of headphones for home use.

I was also researching the hd280s and thought he might like those due to the bass...

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sant430
I was also researching the hd280s and thought he might like those due to the bass...

the HD280 are capable of going very low, so if thats what you're friend likes, i see it as a very good choice.

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 11
what about finding some used beyerdynamic dt770 pros.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmmcheese
what about finding some used beyerdynamic dt770 pros.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

I also thought of the 770/80s since I have them, and enjoy them quite a bit. I've also got some 225s and the 580s too.

I'm thinking of either the sr80s, the hd280s, or some used 770/80s right now.....

Feb 22, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 11
My recommendation would be a set of HD580's. I used them with an amp on my IPOD and found them to be very satisfying. I think for a little more than 150 dollars you can get a pair new (just wait til there are sales).

Its worth the investment mainly because if he wants to start getting into having a home audio system, its a great beginning! I've had mine for more than 2 years before I upgraded to hd600's. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back