$150 closed portable, canals or phones, but no E3c please
Aug 23, 2005 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Angaria

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some unamped phones for <$150 that I can use at school without annoying people.

Portability is a plus, so for a minute I thought the ATH-EW9's would be perfect (and wow are they cool) but tales of high leakage and low bass scared me away.

I just tried the E3c's and found them to be quite bass deficient even with a good seal. I'm not a huge basshead, though, I do just fine with the levels from my CD-780's.

It seems like I'm being driven to the AKG 271, which I think I can snag on the bay for my price, but then they don't seem tremendously portable. The 5EB sounds like it could work too, but the highs are lacking I've heard, so another trade off there.

Suggestions - or go with AKG?

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 6
the super.fi pro would suit you fine. they can be had i hear on ebay for ~$160. the whole "muffled highs" thing with the s.fp is a myth. the highs are just right.

Aug 23, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 6
I think the er6i are a good deal. Otherwise the e4s with lack of bass without an amp or the Pro.5s are other options. AKG's aren't to portable. If it wasn't portable I would go with AKG's.

Aug 23, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
the super.fi pro would suit you fine. they can be had i hear on ebay for ~$160. the whole "muffled highs" thing with the s.fp is a myth. the highs are just right.

+1 on this. But do not get the EB version.

Aug 23, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 6
For closed headphones, you can also look into the Sennheiser HD 201, PX200, HD 25-1, AKG K26P and Sony V6. The AKG K271 is far from being portable imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back