<$150 amp Tubes or Magni (Not much time to research)
Jun 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TunneLVisioN42

100+ Head-Fier
So I am in need of a new setup for very stupid reasons, I do not have much time to sit around and research like I usually do, I am pretty much set on a Modi for the DAC as far as I know that's the budget king right now and I am looking to try something different from my O2/ODAC.

But I cant decide if I should go Tubes or just get a Magni, I prefer lush heavy smoothness while maintaining good detail, I at the moment do not even know if there is any venerable Tube amps at this price point but I am in a pickle right now and do not have much time to research this, your help more than ever shall be greatly appreciated!  

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 14
Please guys can I get a little bit of input here?

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 14
The Schiit Magni isn't going to be the kind of warm, lush sounding amplifier you're looking for as it's pretty similar to the O2 in terms of tonality. Tube amps are pretty much known for their warm presentation.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 14
Do you know any respectable tube amps $100-$200 bucks? I know there is the tubemagic A1 which I have not looked into much but it has good reviews here on the site and is rollable so thats a plus but I would prefer to pay a little less, budget is tight right now and tube amps are not familiar territory 
blink.gif
 I have read about the Magni people say its soundstage is quite something but I am kind of itching to try tubes, just don't know where to start

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 14
can someone clarify for me a little bit about the trend of using tubes as a preamp, on solid state amps? (Hybrids) is this mainly to just color the sound?

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
So I am in need of a new setup for very stupid reasons, I do not have much time to sit around and research like I usually do, I am pretty much set on a Modi for the DAC as far as I know that's the budget king right now and I am looking to try something different from my O2/ODAC.

But I cant decide if I should go Tubes or just get a Magni, I prefer lush heavy smoothness while maintaining good detail, I at the moment do not even know if there is any venerable Tube amps at this price point but I am in a pickle right now and do not have much time to research this, your help more than ever shall be greatly appreciated!  

IMO you should go for a garage1217 amp, you won't be disappointed even with their Low-cost headphone amp : The Project Starlight, you can change op-amps, tubes, the sound with the standards op-amps and tube is very refined, detailed and powerfull, it's not really comparable to O2 or modded cheap chineses hybrid amp, it scale well with good sources (it can retranscribe easily even the smallest details of a >500$ DAC like Audio-Gd DAC 19 DSP).

It's made in U.S.A. and with a two years warranty.

you can buy it in kit, or fully built and tuned : http://www.garage1217.com/index.html

but for me the most important question is : which headphones will you use with your amp?

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 14
Its always changing, that is why I went with an O2/ODAC, but the more I read and learn I started to realize that tubes would not be the best for me, I don't have just one pair of headphones I wanna pair so something like a warmer solid state amp or a Hybrid tube amp is more my ballpark, currently looking at the Little Dot I+

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 14
After checking around what cheaphifi linked to me I will probably go more that route, I am pretty interested in the garage 1217 amps, Do not care so much for the open clear plastic approach though, seems very prone to EMI?

Anyways I narrowed it down to the Starlight, Magni, Tubemagic A1.

Wish I had the cash to spring for a Lyr HAHA!

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #10 of 14
The Amp I think you really need to look into would be the Bravo Audio Ocean. Pure Class A Tube Amp(no Op Amp ICs) with 30db of Gain. It uses (1) 12AU7 tube which can be easily upgraded to NOS tube which is readily available. The cost is around $130.00 USD from Parts-Express, quite a bit cheaper than the Maverick Audio. This unit has had universal praise from all reviewers, look for reviews in Head-Fi.com, Headfonics.com, and a video review on youtube.com. Seems like it has the sound quality you are looking for, good luck and Happy Listening.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
The Amp I think you really need to look into would be the Bravo Audio Ocean. Pure Class A Tube Amp(no Op Amp ICs) with 30db of Gain. It uses (1) 12AU7 tube which can be easily upgraded to NOS tube which is readily available. The cost is around $130.00 USD from Parts-Express, quite a bit cheaper than the Maverick Audio. This unit has had universal praise from all reviewers, look for reviews in Head-Fi.com, Headfonics.com, and a video review on youtube.com. Seems like it has the sound quality you are looking for, good luck and Happy Listening.

The Bravo Audio Ocean is not really in the same league than Garage1217 Amps, cheap chinese amps are good for the price but it's not really the same quality, for example my first amp from garage1217 : the first version of project Sunrise was far better than Bravo Audio and Indeed thingies.

The project Starlight is also a very good sounding headphone amp it compete with my Audio-Gd C2, same detail level, same extension in lows and highs and comparable soundstage ! And i like my C2 Amp, i'm not biased but i must admit that Garage1217 make great amps, they're knowing their business.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 14
checking out the the garage1217 site what you say may be true but the bravo audio ocean is still a really good option and can be had for around $110 I am considering it too, rhfactor1 thank you for showing me this!

Hmm seems it is a pure tube amp though, I am looking for a hybrid, that and I saw they also make those little 50 dollar open chassis tube amps, I have had one of those smoke on me...

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
checking out the the garage1217 site what you say may be true but the bravo audio ocean is still a really good option and can be had for around $110 I am considering it too, rhfactor1 thank you for showing me this!

Hmm seems it is a pure tube amp though, I am looking for a hybrid, that and I saw they also make those little 50 dollar open chassis tube amps, I have had one of those smoke on me...

I think it's the good moment if you want to order an amp from garage1217 :

Quote from garage1217:
We also have a promo going on. Order in any G1217 Built amplifier and receive a free vintage 12AU7 / 5963 tube! Offer expires at midnight - June 16th 2013 - Offer applies to full orders only (built amp + tube, power supply and chassis)

A vintage 12AU7 included in an headphone amp made in USA with genuine components (and with a 2 years warranty): 189.99$ for a Project Starlight built and shipped in USA.

You should give it a try, you won't be deceived, this amp perform very well from cheap DAC to >500$ DAC; it retranscribes the smallest details, it's very silent in the background and it's very fluid, great mids, chesty bass and silky highs, I sincerely there is no competitors against the Project Starlight in the 200$ price range.

http://www.garage1217.com/graphic_design_006.htm

On my desktop surrounded by my iMac and a PC both wireless connected i don't have any EMI with my Ms2i Alessandro (Low impedance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back