15 PM / day limit for long-standing member with no issues? (Resolved)
Dec 3, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #46 of 60
Quote:
At the moment it is set at 100 PMs a day. This thread came about because I assumed nobody would need to send more than 15 a day, but I guess some people PM like mad, rather like when, back in the '90s, we first had email and we'd email each other even if we were sitting in the same computer lab, just because we could and had fun doing it. It could also be that sending two PMs with 8 people each in them would put a person over the limit.

100 is barely enough! I go through too many for that limit to be even be close for comfort! Rabble rabble rabble complain complain complain...

I completely understand it is there for stopping spam, but it's sort of troublesome in some circumstances. I was hosting a private get-together with head-fiers, and I guess the group PMs caught up. I couldn't social-network them, since I don't believe in that stuff. And I didn't know their contact info outside of head-fi before, so I needed to PM them first. I'll try and be more smart and frugal with the PMs next time I guess. Thanks for the explanation!

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #47 of 60
Quote:
This thread came about because I assumed nobody would need to send more than 15 a day, but I guess some people PM like mad

Well, I wouldn't say like mad per se.  But I am in a running PM thread with three other guys (at least I think they're guys).  We basically chat there throughout the day.  A dozen daily messages from me would equal 36 PMs per day.  And that's assuming I PM no one else (which I also do on occasion to set up trades and stuff).  Would that be considered excessive?

Oh BTW, the aforementioned hang-out thread is now in it's fifth iteration because the threads get REALLY long (and it becomes a pain to scroll to the end).  Any chance of there being a "display messages in PM threads in date descending format" option on the horizon? 
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #48 of 60
TwinQY: The accidental limit was me trying to give new users (that had passed my "not a spammer" test) more PMs per day than just one or two. 

warren: That's a good suggestion.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #49 of 60
warren: That's a good suggestion.

Seriously it would be AWESOME.

And yeah I ran into the limit (the 15/day, not whatever else) trying to send PMs to multiple recipients (it apparently counts each recipient as one message, seemingly both ways - so for example if you, me, and Jude wanted to have a PM conversation, and you start it out by saying "hi" you have just sent two PMs, but Jude and I would see three (at least that's how the error message seemed to indicate)).

So my global limit is 100 or well over 8200? Just to clarify.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #50 of 60
I have something even better in mind, but I need to get it organised. I'll get back to you guys. 
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #51 of 60
Dec 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #52 of 60
Dec 11, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #54 of 60
How about a system that starts with a low limit of PMs for new members(perhaps 10 or less?), then increases the person's daily  PM limit as their number of posts made increases?

Besides SPAM, some people do overuse the PM function, and ask questions in a PM  that should be posted to the forum instead, so that many can answer, and others can benefit as well from the answers.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #55 of 60
JK1: That's exactly what it does now, but it starts at 2PMs.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #56 of 60
I'm having an issue on my account. I replied to 7 PMs and then after that it says I've reached my daily limit? I tried PM Currawong but couldn't because of the daily limit lol. So I posted on his wall :p.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #57 of 60
Hey there,
I'm relatively new to HFi and I am blocked out at only 2 PMs/day. Is there any way I can raise this? Am I understanding this correctly that it's a bug?

Thanks for any advice!

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #58 of 60
You most likely have to post more on the forums to raise your post count which should raise that limit. Pretty much this is done so you don't exploit headfi without actually contributing to the forums.

May 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #59 of 60
Quote:
Hey there,
I'm relatively new to HFi and I am blocked out at only 2 PMs/day. Is there any way I can raise this? Am I understanding this correctly that it's a bug?

Thanks for any advice!

I'm having a similar issue with the PM count not functioning correctly. Says I've reached my limit for a few days running without sending or receiving anything...

May 2, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #60 of 60
I got this today . "
You have reached your daily allotment of 2 new private messages per day. Note that multiple recipients of the same message each count toward your limit."​

I know i'm not posting a lot on the forum, I like to read all the topic but I think 2 pm it's not enough when am I going to get more pm ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back