~15 player HD-DAP Shootout... Coming Soon
Mar 17, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by ezra2323
Looking forward to it. Would like to see Apple products compared using AAC 192. Does it give them an unfair advantage becuase its a superior codec? Yes - but that is the point!

Well then I think he should also do a comparison using FLAC on the Karma
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #17 of 24
Rob will be here on April 26 and staying for 2 weeks. Anyone who wants to come by and check out the gear is welcome. Lenexa,KS.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll end up doing such a detailed sound quality comparison. I've had too many things going on and the switch box never got built. That, and there hasn't been much demand. We will, at least, load them with the same test files and point out any that sound noticeably worse than the top-tier players (iPod, NJB3, iHP, etc).

Gear list will be:
Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (60gb)
iRiver iHP-140 (40gb)
Dell DJ (20gb)
Apple iPod (v.2) (10gb)
Rio Nitrus (1.5gb)
Creative Muvo2 (1.5gb)
Xclef hd-500 (20gb)
Xclef HD-800 (20gb)
Mpio hd-100 (20gb)
Philips HDD100 (15gb)
Creative Zen Xtra (60gb)
Apple iPod (v.1) (5gb)
iRiver iHP-100 (10gb)
NeDi (20gb) ---suxx---
GoDot M7170 (20gb) ---suxx---
Rio Karma (20gb)

Apr 15, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
Rob will be here on April 26 and staying for 2 weeks. Anyone who wants to come by and check out the gear is welcome. Lenexa,KS.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll end up doing such a detailed sound quality comparison. I've had too many things going on and the switch box never got built. That, and there hasn't been much demand. We will, at least, load them with the same test files and point out any that sound noticeably worse than the top-tier players (iPod, NJB3, iHP, etc).

Gear list will be:
Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (60gb)
iRiver iHP-140 (40gb)
Dell DJ (20gb)
Apple iPod (v.2) (10gb)
Rio Nitrus (1.5gb)
Creative Muvo2 (1.5gb)
Xclef hd-500 (20gb)
Xclef HD-800 (20gb)
Mpio hd-100 (20gb)
Philips HDD100 (15gb)
Creative Zen Xtra (60gb)
Apple iPod (v.1) (5gb)
iRiver iHP-100 (10gb)
NeDi (20gb) ---suxx---
GoDot M7170 (20gb) ---suxx---
Rio Karma (20gb)

Sounds cool! But why are you comparing the IHP-140 and the IHP-100? It's pretty much the same machine.. or isn't it
confused.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Megaman
Sounds cool! But why are you comparing the IHP-140 and the IHP-100? It's pretty much the same machine.. or isn't it
confused.gif

yeah but iHP-140 looks cooler in black
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 10:38 AM Post #20 of 24
Austonia, the results will make definitive reading I'm sure. Are you planning on comparisions without any eq at all, or both with and without.

You can see where I'm coming from... I love the Ipod (and thanks for your recomendation), and its sound, but I would be the first to say that the bass boost works on some tracks (those without bass) but causes distortion on others (those with heaps of bass like Norah Jones).

Keep those test results coming!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Aug 14, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 24
haha, this old thing. ah, well. lack of time, basically.

there's just 2 of us running dapreview and the satellite sites, doing the work of 5+ people, and all in our spare time. hunting and posting news, reviews, editing, design, programming, systems/server maintanance, business, etc etc etc. mind you - we have no formal training/experience in any of this so we learn as we go.

plus i have a full time job/career, and a part time family. and other hobbies.

sooooo, our motto is basically "it's done when it's done" and since the site is "free" no one has room to bitch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #23 of 24
I don't care anyway, although it would be nice to see the huge player blowout feature

I always check dapreview for DAP news, for which it is excellent

austonia, is it possible to inc UK prices on the site? I'm all for you americans getting a good deal, but you're charged less than us anyway. Oh, and do you (dapreview) have a slight bias for the X5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back