15-Inch PowerBook G4s Quality-Control Issues reported by Macworld
Nov 1, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 11
Yup, that's somewhat concerning news - c't magazine had also already reported several display problems with the new 15" pbs.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 1, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 11
My son purchased the new 15 inch G4 (1.25 Ghz) from Apple's online store the first day it was announced. It had the problem with the latch not catching consistently.

Apple replaced it with no questions asked.The whole process took an extra 7-10 days since he had ordered a custom configuration. The new Powerbook has no problems and he is thrilled.

He just added the Indigo i/o card to get a better sound on phones. I haven't heard it yet but he e-mailed me last night to let me know it really improved the sound.

I love his machine and would buy one in a heartbeat.

John

Nov 1, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 11
Hey Guys !

I'm considering one for me and I have to wait until they fix every thing. Things are more difficult below Ecuador...

Nov 2, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 11
I love Apple to death, but it is generally better to wait until the second run of a particular product than to buy it when it is first unveiled. They put so much effort into radical design & engineering, that some of the economy-of-scale quality issues don't arise until the product is in the hands of thousands of consumers.

--Chris

Nov 2, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 11
I have one and its fantastic. The latch is not magnetic, and it has held securely for me. I have the white patch phenomena in my display as well, but it is not very noticeable...just when something is pure white, then there are three little patches that are a tiny bit whiter...weird, but it does not bother me. It is undetectable when there is anything there other than white. Otherwse the thing has been fantastic.

Nov 3, 2003 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

I love Apple to death, but it is generally better to wait until the second run of a particular product than to buy it when it is first unveiled. They put so much effort into radical design & engineering, that some of the economy-of-scale quality issues don't arise until the product is in the hands of thousands of consumers.

It funny, I've always noticed completely the opposite about Sony products. It seems like their first generation products are always the best run, and subsequent generations get the cutbacks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back