$15 for essentially a $200 pen? i'll take one!
Apr 20, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #17 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Uncle Erik,

Thanks for making references to headphones it actually helps put into perspective what you are talking about. What pen forums do you recommend/visit?

Are you sure you want to open up that pandora's box?
eek.gif

Head-Fi is money-draining enough as it is, without having to worry about $2000 pens!
orphsmile.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #18 of 119
In the end, with ANY rollerball/ballpoint/pencil, if you pay more than $5 for it, you're essentially paying for just the shell...the refills are still the same across the company's entire lineup, whether it be their $5 model or their $500 model. What this guy did is nothing new...I've been doing this type of modding for most of my life...find a refill you like, and find ways to fit it into a "shell" that looks pretty. I have a huge bag full of refills from just about every pen refill manufacturer out there for exactly this purpose. Montblanc is hardly the last word for a smooth ballpoint refill...get the 1.0mm Jetstream for $2, there's just about nothing out there that can touch the Jetstream for a nearly frictionless sensation when writing.

Ever since I got bitten by the fountain pen bug, I've been pretty reluctant to spend a whole lot on any ballpoint or rollerball...with a high end fountain pen at least a good chunk of your money's actually going into a unique, one of a kind part, the nib, and not just another cartridge holder. Nonetheless, for most of my daily writing, I still use rollerballs or ballpoints, in particular the 0.5 Energel needletip refill fitted to some high end "shells" (I've gotten it to fit into a Montblanc Starwalker fineliner with some minor modding, works very nicely and has become my favorite daily pen). Fountain pen ink just takes too long to dry and the types of surfaces one encounters in the course of a day is way to diverse to trust to a fountain pen.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
If you want a good price, fantastic performance and no pretension, buy a Parker 51 with the aerometric filler. You should be able to pick up a common one on eBay for $30-$50. It has a 14k gold nib and aeros almost never need repair. Clean (if even necessary), fill, and write. It's the SR-60 of the pen world.

Wow that takes me back I used to have my Dad's old Parker 51 back in the early 70s, but mine crapped out - the wee plastic reservior split and mine did leak anyway, lovely pen though.

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #20 of 119
Everyone should just buy the Fisher Space pen. No bleeding, it can write on glossy photographs, it's incredibly compact when closed and nice, balanced, and long when open. Plus, it's extremely durable.

It sounds gimmicky, but you can get it for fifteen dollars, and it's great. Plus, you can write sideways and upside-down because the cartridge is pressurized!

Seriously, I can't find a reason to use a pen other than this one.

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #22 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
If you want a nice pen, buy a fountain. No, they don't leak and they are *not* scratchy. I've taken dozens on airplanes, too, and have not had any problems.

While I've gone completely digital, my wife loves loves loves fountain pens.

I was thinking of getting her a Namiki "Vanishing" point fountain pen, but not so sure how well it keeps from drying out, or leaking in a purse or pocket.

-Ed

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #24 of 119
I've used the Pilot G2 (with its own ink) for several months now. Haven't bothered to switch to anything else (and yes, IIRC Mont Blanc is the Bose of the pen world).

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #25 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
While I've gone completely digital, my wife loves loves loves fountain pens.

I was thinking of getting her a Namiki "Vanishing" point fountain pen, but not so sure how well it keeps from drying out, or leaking in a purse or pocket.

-Ed

The Vanishing Point pens are quite excellent. I collect and use fountain pens (well, DID collect and use, before my $$ started going for head-fi gear), and I love my Vanishing Point. Has never leaked. I've had it since 1999.

The only issue I have now is that I do so little actual writing (shopping lists, signing checks) that my fp's never see any use.

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #26 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho
I wouldn't trust some of these guys here with a plastic knife... You REALLY don't want blood on your AKGs and Grados, do you?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by server
imho's Join Date: 04-05-2006

You've only been here two weeks, how do you know who to trust with a plastic knife?
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #29 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
I've used the Pilot G2 (with its own ink) for several months now. Haven't bothered to switch to anything else (and yes, IIRC Mont Blanc is the Bose of the pen world).

Your IIRC is correct. I had a coworker who used to work at a fancy jewelry store where they sold both Rolex and Mont Blanc and she said Rolexes are inferior timekeepers (they often lose several minutes a week) and Mont Blancs are, in fact, just like Bose, overhyped, in the public eye, and $$$ for an average product. It's all about the name.

Give me a Precise V5 for everyday use; a Pelikan for elegant writing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back