13 yr. old son looking for MP3 player
Mar 12, 2017 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
My son thinks he needs a dedicated player.  Frankly I think his Nexus 6p is good enough but it's his money so....

He's looking at the FiiO X1 and I'm wondering if there is anything to compete at that price point?

Cheers.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 12
I myself just ordered a Xduoo X3 DAP and planned on installing Rockbox firmware on it.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 12
A 13 year old that DOESN'T want an iPod???

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 12
A 13 year old that DOESN'T want an iPod???

Of course, it's soooooooooo 2007. It's like, older than him, and only old hipsters use it. Ewwwwwww.

My son thinks he needs a dedicated player.  Frankly I think his Nexus 6p is good enough but it's his money so....

He's looking at the FiiO X1 and I'm wondering if there is anything to compete at that price point?

If his headphones don't even need that much power and his music is MP3 anyway might as well use Spotify on the Nexus. Might as well save the money now and invest on something else later, like the X5III and a better headphone that might need more power than what the X5III spits out so a desktop amp and the DK1 dock should go with it. Offer to chip in (and use it when he isn't on it).

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 12
He's an Android fan, so Apple is not an option!

Well I agree about the Nexus, but he's set on a dedicated player, I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to move to FLAC also.

His current cans are a pair of PortaPros and ProDJ100, so he's got a good starting point.

He's also got an old ZUNE I'm letting him use which I tried to tell him is really quite good but he's unsatisfied with the storage (30gb),

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 12
As a good father you can give him a serious donation 
etysmile.gif

Laughs beside, try to find used Sony ZX1.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 12
As someone who had the phone/DAP combo, let him know he'll miss texts, calls and emails. I've moved my listening to a proper audio phone, with expandable memory and a good DAC chip. I am still connected, and have great audio.

I'm currently bouncing between an LG V10 and an HTC 10.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 12
What about a Fiio M3?
tongue_smile.gif

He will have enough money to get another one if he loses/breaks the first one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back