12th Calgary Head-Fi Meet - November 15 (Sunday)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2015 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

hakushondaimao

Headphoneus Supremus

The 12th Calgary Head-Fi Meet is a go!

Space has been booked in the northeast, at the Best Western Port o' Call Hotel, near the airport. There will be a $10 charge (or thereabouts, depending on number of participants) to cover the room rental fee.

If you can make the meet, please indicate your interest with a reply to the thread so we know how many are attending. I've started a gear list as well, so let us know what you're bringing and I'll add it below.

Confirmed attending: @joneeboi@I Love BMW@mikoss@BobMonkhouse@EdmontonCanuck@hakushondaimao@nailbunny7@swich401@notfitforpublic@gasmonkey@Honkytime@AgentXXL, @steved21

Tentative: @Malfunkt@bavinck@rezolver@Jazzkammer@JonJeffman

Awaiting RSVP: @LostInMyDream@ian209@GNURush@ady1989@Eddie C@loremipsum@furyagain@Febri Misaka@rosie bowers@SlimShady@Wingstrike@alphones@dWeLLeR@canterra 

Tentative Gear List

DACs and Amps (Desktop):
Schiit Wyrd
Schiit Yggdrasil
Mainline
Cavali Liquid Carbon (maybe)
JDS Labs Objective 2
Woo WA7/WA7tp combo
MicroZOTL2
exaSound DAC
Light Harmonics Geek Pulse Infinity (1/4' or 4 pin XLR with beta firmware supporting up to DSD2 playback)
Light Harmonics LPS-4 (Analog power supply)
Teac ud-h01
Resonessance Labs HP and HD
Lake People (Violectric) G109s
Yulong D200
AudioGD NFB-15 (x2)
Aune X1S
Matrix Mini-i Pro

DACs and Amps (Portable):
Headamp Pico (96/24 USB DAC with built in headphone amp - FOR SALE: $250 obo)
Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo (-dB balanced DAC)
RSA Intruder (balanced amp with internal 48/24 USB DAC)
Geek Out V2 (1000mW stereo/balanced USB DAC/Amp - capable of playback up to DSD1)
Cayin C5 (x2)
Cayin C5DAC
Creative Sound Blaster E5
Apogee Groove
Calyx PaT
Cozoy Aegis
CypherLabs Picollo
FiiO E12A (x2)
FiiO Q1
VE Runabout

DAPs and Sources:
Astell & Kern AK100ii
Sansa clip+
Apple iPhone 6 Plus (128GB, Onkyo player app supporting DSD)
Apple iPad Mini Retina 2 (128GB, Onkyo player app supporting DSD)
MacBook Pro 15.4" Retina, Late 2013 (Audirvana+, Amarra SQ)
FiiO X1
FiiO X3
Aune S18 (desktop source)
Aune X5S
Aune M2 Pro
Aune M2
Shanling M2
FiiO X5ii
FiiO M3 (thanks to Joe at FiiO)
Hidizs AP100
FiiO X7 (assuming I get the tour unit in time)
Astell & Kern AK240 (thanks to A&K for demo unit)

Cans:
Denon mm400
Grado 325is
Akg 702
Silver Dragon Balanced Lcd-2.2
Canare cable Balanced AKG K7xx
Hifiman HE-1000
Audeze LCD-3
Sennheiser HD800 (custom terminated stock cable with home-built assorted adapters)
Hifiman HE-560 (custom terminated stock cable with home-built assorted adapters)
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250ohm (converted to dual entry and terminated to use my assorted adapters)
Philips Fidelio X2
Focal Spirit Classic
Denon AH-MM400
Sony MDR-7520 (tentative attendance)
Hifiman HE-400
Beyerdynamics DT 880
Beyerdynamics DT 770
Audio Technica A900x's
Sennheiser Amperiors
Audioquest Nighthawk
ZMF Omni (thanks to Zach of ZMF)
ZMF Blackwood (thanks to Zach of ZMF)
Audio Technica R70x
Audio Technica MSR7
AKG K7XX

IEMs and Earbuds:
JH Angie
Shure SE-215
Shure SE-530
Shure SE-846
Sony XBA-30
DUNU Titan 1
Hifiman RE-400
Audio-Technica ATH-CKR9LTD
JH Layla (thanks to A&K for demo unit)
Noble 6
FLC 8S
Dunu DN200J
Fidue A73
TPEOS Altone 200
Havi B3 Pro 1
Trinity Delta
Trinity Hyperion
FiiO EX1 (Dunu Titan remix... thanks to Joe at FiiO)
VE Duke
VE Zen
VE Asura
VE Monk

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 102
Meet Rules:

1) Always wear a name tag (name tags will be found at the room entrance - Strathmore 3, in the B1 level). Write your real first name and your Head-Fi user name if you have one. Take some sticky tags if you want to label your gear.

2) Remember that you're trying out another member's gear.
a. Treat all gear with respect.
b. Respect the owner's wishes.
c. Give it all the velvet cushion treatment.
d. Do not place headphones on top of other gear--if you're not sure where to put it, ask the owner.
e. Do not remove any gear from a setup without the owner's permission.
f. Do not remove any cables or make any other changes to the setup without the owner's permission.
g. If you do take gear away from a table, or borrow cables, adapters, or power strips, try to remember where you got them from, and return them when you're done. In all the excitement, it's easy to forget where you got that 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter.
h. If you listen loud remember to lower the volume for the next person.
i. If you don't know or are just curious about something, ask someone. Anyone. Someone knows, or knows someone who knows.
j.“You break it, you buy it” policy
k. Ask if you're not sure how to operate a piece of gear, or you're just curious about the system setup. Some gear requires headphones to be plugged in at all times, some gear doesn't like it when you unplug headphones unless the volume is turned all the way down. Don't just assume that everything works the same way. Just ask, it can save a lot of heartache.

3) Introduce yourself to other members when you get in the room
a. Don’t be shy, other members in this hobby are usually extremely nice from my experience!
b. Ask where you can put gear if you brought any. We should have plenty of space.

4) Personal hygiene is important
a. Wash your hair and your ears (and behind your ears) before coming to the meet.
b. Avoid the use of products like hair gel, hair spray, mousse, etc. Seriously, some of the headphones you'll have the opportunity to try cost more than a good used car.
c. Clean out your ears so you can hear better
d. Don't forget the deodorant. Baby powder & cologne are not adequate substitutes.
e. With all the gear & other members, it may get warm in the room. Dress accordingly. Thankfully it's not summer, and the hotel should have good temperature control.

5) No food or drink within the meet venue
a. Step out to the lobby, snack bar or restaurant if you want to eat or drink
b.Wash your hands if dirty before touching anything on your return

Reminders:
- Bring extension cables, power bars, etc.
- Bring cables to hook up gear. Bring extra cables if you have them, especially adaptor cables or adaptors (e.g. 3.5mm to 1/4” adaptor, etc.)
- Bring IEM tips if you want to try out the IEMs at the meet. We may or may not have some extras that can be used, but can't guarantee sizing.
- Parking: There is parking for guests at the hotel.
- Bring some music on flash/USB drive to try on other people’s systems. Micro SD is standard for portable DAPs. Some desktop equipment will need an SD adaptor. For playing from laptops, USB drives are your best option. 
Bring some alcohol swabs to clean off IEM earpieces after use.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 102
Sorry won't be able to make this one.
frown.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 102
@swich401 are you coming? what is your listening rig these days? yggy -> mainline -> lcd-2.2's?

just wondering...
popcorn.gif

I am also free Nov 15th, so I'll join the party... I'll bring tomato cans, string and a Fisher Price record player. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 102
I'll be there!

For headphones I'll bring the Hifiman HE-1000's and Audeze LCD-3's. For amps I can bring the Woo WA7/WA7tp combo again as well as my new MicroZOTL2 for people to listen to through my exaSound DAC.

I'll even try to remember to bring along the power bar this time :blush:

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 102
  @swich401 are you coming? what is your listening rig these days? yggy -> mainline -> lcd-2.2's?

just wondering...
popcorn.gif

I am also free Nov 15th, so I'll join the party... I'll bring tomato cans, string and a Fisher Price record player. 

Can you also bring your Beats?

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 102

just wondering...
popcorn.gif

Hey Mike!

I'll hopefully be there. My current set-up is: laptop -> Schiit Wyrd -> Yggdrasil -> Mainline and/or Cavali Liquid Carbon (if it gets here in time for the meet) -> Silver Dragon Balanced Lcd-2.2 or  Canare cable Balanced AKG K7xx

I also have the JH Angie's; currently running them out of a JDS labs Objective 2 amp at home, or a Sansa clip+ for on the go.

P.S. if anybody is heading down to Calgary from Edmonton for this meet I'd very much appreciate a ride. Also, if anyone has an uninterruptible power supply that I could use to keep my Yggdrasil on for the ride down to Calgary it would be much appreciated.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 102

Hey Mike!

I'll hopefully be there. My current set-up is: laptop -> Schiit Wyrd -> Yggdrasil -> Mainline and/or Cavali Liquid Carbon (if it gets here in time for the meet) -> Silver Dragon Balanced Lcd-2.2 or  Canare cable Balanced AKG K7xx

I also have the JH Angie's; currently running them out of a JDS labs Objective 2 amp at home, or a Sansa clip+ for on the go.

P.S. if anybody is heading down to Calgary from Edmonton for this meet I'd very much appreciate a ride. Also, if anyone has an uninterruptible power supply that I could use to keep my Yggdrasil on for the ride down to Calgary it would be much appreciated.

@EdmontonCanuck?

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 102
Oct 23, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #15 of 102

Hey Mike!

Unfortunately I'll be down in Calgary early (either Fri. evening or Sat morning) ahead of the event, so not sure if that will work out.  @swich401, if you have a place to stay and want to come down early with me, you're entirely welcome to....just PM me. 

Dave

PS....sorry, I can't supply a UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back