12SN7 Tubed headphone amps?
Mar 15, 2006 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

seefeel

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 1, 2003
Posts
386
Likes
10
Anyone know any headphone amps that use the 12SN7 tubes other than the Singlepowers? Preferably one that is closer to $200 instead of the $900 it would cost to have a PPX3 made. Also any 12J5 tubed headphones amps out there?
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 15

PFKMan23

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Posts
3,349
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
You are not going to find much in the way of tube amps for $200.


Actually you will (Chinese amps), but ones that use the 12sn7...
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 15

PFKMan23

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Posts
3,349
Likes
12
In any case hopefully our posts have made him look a bit...or expand his budget
very_evil_smiley.gif
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 15

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
8,190
Likes
33
Quote:

Originally Posted by seefeel
Anyone know any headphone amps that use the 12SN7 tubes other than the Singlepowers? Preferably one that is closer to $200 instead of the $900 it would cost to have a PPX3 made. Also any 12J5 tubed headphones amps out there?



No one has explored the 12sn7 but Singlepower. The 12j5 is not that easy of a tube to find because you need pairs ... well actually quads for your purpose .... although they are usually inexpensive when you do. I dont see where a 12j5 would have any advantage over the 12sn7. You would need four tubes to get the same power as two 12sn7's. Plus, see above, you add matching problems. You would need more tube sockets, parts and added labor to build such an amp .... or settle for half the power.

I know some people say the single triodes sound better and I am going to test some with dual top socket adapters and see what I think. Singlepower is developing some dual top tube socket adapters for some of the single triodes. I have requested some for a couple tubes but he hasnt had time to do them for me yet. There will be some dual top socket adapters for some of the tubes to simply double the power. I have asked for some of these for 5687's for my Supra amps. Four 5687's for the output tubes should be lots of fun.
very_evil_smiley.gif
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 15

palchiu

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Posts
643
Likes
24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
There will be some dual top socket adapters for some of the tubes to simply double the power. I have asked for some of these for 5687's for my Supra amps. Four 5687's for the output tubes should be lots of fun.
very_evil_smiley.gif



Wow... 4x5687, I'll loving in~
basshead.gif
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 15

jbloudg20

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Posts
2,306
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
In any case hopefully our posts have made him look a bit...or expand his budget
very_evil_smiley.gif



HAHA The venerable evils of Head-FI!
very_evil_smiley.gif
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 15

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
8,190
Likes
33
Quote:

Originally Posted by palchiu
Wow... 4x5687, I'll loving in~
basshead.gif



Definitely me too.
icon10.gif


The dual tube socket adapters for the single triodes I have in mind will work fine for the mpx3. In fact, the 4 x 5687 should be ok in the mpx3 as well .... but its getting up near the amps transformer limits. The Supra's transformer can handle four 5687's with ease.
basshead.gif
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 15

kevin gilmore

Señor Stax. Señor MAXX.
Can Jam '10 Organizer
Joined
Jun 21, 2001
Posts
2,863
Likes
516
There is only one way to get more tube power.

6as7's or 6c33's. Earl you know you want one of these.


Actually this should be trivial. Take one of your singlepowers that has 3 x 6sn7

Replace the 2 output tubes with 6as7's. Absolutely same pinout.
Or if the tubes are too close and you can't get both in, use 6080's
which will definitely fit.


optionally change out the top cathode resistors for lower values to boost the
output power.

Simple really.
 
Mar 17, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 15

jamesp

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
1,062
Likes
33
Location
Lockport, NY
Quote:

Originally Posted by palchiu
Wow... 4x5687, I'll loving in~
basshead.gif




I send an e-mail to Mikhail and ask him about this adapters. He is going to build two for me. I should have it in a couple of weeks for the PPX3 SLAM. Can't wait to feel the [size=medium]POWER[/size] of 4x5687
k1000smile.gif
.
 
Mar 17, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 15

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
8,190
Likes
33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesp
I send an e-mail to Mikhail and ask him about this adapters. He is going to build two for me. I should have it in a couple of weeks for the PPX3 SLAM. Can't wait to feel the [size=medium]POWER[/size] of 4x5687
k1000smile.gif
.




Be aware ..... you need atleast a mpx3 sized transformer to be able to run 4 x5687. The heater current demand of the 5687's alone would be more than the normal ppx3 transformer can handle. Remind him of this fact ... unless your amp already has an upgraded transformer.
wink.gif
 
Mar 17, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 15

jamesp

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
1,062
Likes
33
Location
Lockport, NY
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Be aware ..... you need atleast a mpx3 sized transformer to be able to run 4 x5687. The heater current demand of the 5687's alone would be more than the normal ppx3 transformer can handle. Remind him of this fact ... unless your amp already has an upgraded transformer.
wink.gif




Thanks for the info Earl, I will send him an e-mail in regard to the transformer.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top