$12k speaker wire..insane?
Aug 17, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
2m of copper wire is all you get?!

For 12k you should get 20 feet of professionally braided silver wire!

This is almost as crazy as those expensive knobs...

What are you smokin'? for $12k it should come with a freakin massage therapist to massage away the pain of buyer's remorse... Silver is actually very cheap by the way.

YOU CAN BUY A NEW CAR FOR $12K!!!

Aug 17, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994

Yup, but that's how some of my friends react when I tell them my headphone & replacement cable costs $500+. "You could have bought an ipod!"
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
biggrin.gif

I remember a thread about a tube amp with a MSRP over 100k. In the Audiogon post he also stated that he'd be willing to trade the amp for a car or a house.

Here's a similar Audiogon post for a Vyger Indian Signature turntable in which the seller is willing to take an SUV or pickup in trade, the turntable actully got sold.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1096838897

Aug 17, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #36 of 53
Any prenump should contain the following clause: when your audio gear gets as expensive as a car or a house, your wife has the obligation to check you into a psychiatric ward, and then trade your audio gear on audiogon for a real car or house.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
do they come with a box of placbo to increase sound quality? get it, get it!

Actually, I've heard that the placebo effect with these cables is so strong, you don't even have to own them. You just need to look at these cables for awhile on the web site, and then think about them while you listen to your own system, and you will find major improvements in bass, soundstage, etc.
600smile.gif

Aug 22, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #40 of 53
Well, one point worth mentioning is Esoteric is reporting use of "7N" (7 nines) purity copper. If true, that's a LOT more rare and expensive than 6N copper normally used in other cables.

However, it is also true that 7N purity is very hard to prove and document. Some just lie about it.

So, if it indeed is 7N copper, I think about $600-1000 would be a fair price for well-made cables like those.

There are $10K+ cables I may conceivably consider, but they would be cables made of lots of pure Palladium, Platinum, and gold (yes, they do exist!).

Aug 22, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #41 of 53
Oh dear... It's the sound that matters, not the material! You could replace a $200 cable 10 times to equal the cost of a single $2000 cable, let alone $10k!

Please donate your extra money to charity!
biggrin.gif
But I'm serious to some extent.

www.mercycorps.com to help at Sudan or wherever it's needed most.

Aug 22, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #42 of 53
Whoa, imagine how many children you could feed with $12,000?

Think, if you had given the food to the desperately poor, how many lives could you save? Will somebody please think of the children?

Half joking, half very serious.

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994

If you are in the market for $12K cables, then $12 don't buy you a new car. They probably buy your car's tires and wheels. Or maybe the seats. Money, money, money...

$12K buy a lot of rainforest though.

Anyway, 12K for cable? Dang, and I bi-wire! Seriously, if you're out and about in the $5K cable range, do you still bi-wire? I mean just bi-wire, not bi-amp.

Aug 23, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #45 of 53
Why not use the 12k to upgrade your source/amp/speakers/etc?

I don't really understand why someone would buy such expensive cables, other than the knowledge that "they're expensive so they must be good". Which is true only like 1/2-3/4 of the time.

I.e portable bottled water, which I do like, but prices sometimes are quite a bit. One company based in New Hampshire just takes water straight from the tap and bottles it, selling for a hell of a lot of profit. Don't know which though. (I got this info from a reliable source)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back