12au7 tubes for HD600
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

El nai del vent

New Head-Fier
I am just starting to try tubes that favour the HD600's. I find the philips miniwatt's profile too bright and lacking in bass for my taste (maybe they need a bit more burn in). I tried them with some philips holland short plate quite rare to find and what a luxury of sound.... do you have any recommendations or preferences?

Thanks for enriching the forum with information, may the god of audio bless your system.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 7
I am just starting to try tubes that favour the HD600's. I find the philips miniwatt's profile too bright and lacking in bass for my taste (maybe they need a bit more burn in). I tried them with some philips holland short plate quite rare to find and what a luxury of sound.... do you have any recommendations or preferences?

Thanks for enriching the forum with information, may the god of audio bless your system.
Tubes alone may or may not ‘favour’ HD600. The headphone amplifier has to be also considered. Which headphone amplifier do you use with / have in mind for HD600? Knowing that, Head-Fiers (including me) can be more helpful. The optimal tube(s) might be other than 12AU7(s).

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Tubes alone may or may not ‘favour’ HD600. The headphone amplifier has to be also considered. Which headphone amplifier do you use with / have in mind for HD600? Knowing that, Head-Fiers (including me) can be more helpful. The optimal tube(s) might be other than 12AU7(s).
I use an Xduoo Ta-20. There must be more options than the 12au7. I'm learning about tubes, magic sound.

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 7
I use an Xduoo Ta-20. There must be more options than the 12au7. I'm learning about tubes, magic sound.
The Xduoo also can use 12BH7 and I found they sounded much better than the 12AU7 with the ta20. They draw a slightly higher heater load and sometimes trigger the safety protection. According to Xduoo the 12BH7 are safe to use. If happen to trigger protection just turn it off and then on again. Once tube heats up it works great.

Here is a link to get started with 12BH7 I personally like RCA and Hytron brand with the Xduoo TA20, basically liked the 12BH7 over any of the 12au7 I tested. Another option is the 13d5 tubes but would try 12bh7 first since they're less expensive.
http://oldstockaudio.blogspot.com/2010/05/12bh7-listening-test.html

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 7
The Xduoo also can use 12BH7 and I found they sounded much better than the 12AU7 with the ta20. They draw a slightly higher heater load and sometimes trigger the safety protection. According to Xduoo the 12BH7 are safe to use. If happen to trigger protection just turn it off and then on again. Once tube heats up it works great.

Here is a link to get started with 12BH7 I personally like RCA and Hytron brand with the Xduoo TA20, basically liked the 12BH7 over any of the 12au7 I tested. Another option is the 13d5 tubes but would try 12bh7 first since they're less expensive.
http://oldstockaudio.blogspot.com/2010/05/12bh7-listening-test.html
I'm a bit apprehensive about the protect indicator as the pair of 12au7 philips short plate valves triggered the protection and I couldn't use it. They may also have been leaking. The thing is that I wouldn't want this to happen with the 12bh7s because when the amp activates the protect mode it doesn't heat up the tubes and you literally can't do anything. Maybe the next time it will turn on, maybe not. In my experience.

I read that with the 12bh7 the amplifier will support more load, won't that damage the amplifier over time?

Nevertheless, I'm curious about the sound of the RCA's for example. I will investigated about

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Here is a link with some tube rolling for the Xduoo ta20. I still stand by the 12BH7 for best sound quality but can understand your concern. My other suggestion is to get a pair of socket savers. It make rolling rubes easier and keeps heat away from inner components. The ta 20 is a great starter unit and sounds really good with the right tubes. Since sticking with 12au7 try a rca cleartop there is a good deal for the sound they produce.

https://audiofool.reviews/tube-rolling-the-xduoo-ta-01b-ta-10-and-ta-20-12au7-amps/

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 7
It depends on what you want done to the hd600.

A 12au7 to 6sn7 adapter allows you to use 6sn7 tubes, which should be just fine for any amp capable of 12au7.

A kenrad black glass will boost the low end a bit. A nice syrupy grey glass rca or national union will add a bit of lushness if you’re feeling the hd600 is too clinical. These are all going to be small changes though. If you want big changes you’ll be changing the headphones or the amp instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back