12AU7 Starving student - Finally finished !!!
Jul 25, 2010 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Fred_fred2004

Member of the Trade: Fred_fred2004 (Ebay Store)
I thought I'd have a go at one of these

many thanks to Dsavitsk for the modified circuit

The case is the next problem, but it sounds great so I'll worry about it later :)

its nice and stable just sitting on the caps

anyhow
just sharing

cheers
FRED

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 34
heh that was quick "fred", didn't realise you were going to do it immediately when you only mentioned it yesterday!

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 34
Nice! Are the heatsinks sufficient for the amp?

I had gathered the parts for a point to point build for the 12AU7 version. Only thing stopping me is working out a case design to fit it in.

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 34
I had the layout pretty much sorted in my head so just a matter of laying it out so I could etch the boards this morning, I was going to make 2 at the same time but I ran out of 63v caps, I like to make all new things 2 at a time its easier to trouble shoot when things go wrong.

anyway this just worked no hassles

yes the heat sinks seem to be running about the same temp as my other SS so all good I don't think I'd like to enclose them :)

cheers
FRED

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 34
What! No tube LEDs? 
Just kidding, looks good Fred. How did you attach the heatsinks? It looks like they are held in place by the mosfets. Correct?

I'm curious how hot the metal tabs of your mosfets get. Did you apply some thermal grease to them? When I inserted a heat transfer pad between mosfet and heatsink the heatsink temperature rose, indicating a better transfer of heat away from the mosfet.

For my next build I'm gonna use 2.5" tall heatsinks as the 2" tall ones in my current build get quite hot. I wouldn't even dare to use those smallish heatsinks you used.

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 34
Yes you're spot on, the heatsinks are held by the mosfets, thats why you can see fibre washers under them to insulate from the tracks.

My thinking was that I will have to air wire them to the outside of a case, rather than board mounted

I'm using IRF610's and they are good from -55 to 175 degrees C according to my home made temp probe the heatsinks are sitting on 71 degrees so certainly hot but well within specs, I'm not using any paste just a good tight fit. If I use a Hammond case I may just bolt them to the metal sides that'll keep them happy

cheers
FRED

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:
Yes you're spot on, the heatsinks are held by the mosfets, thats why you can see fibre washers under them to insulate from the tracks.

My thinking was that I will have to air wire them to the outside of a case, rather than board mounted

I'm using IRF610's and they are good from -55 to 175 degrees C according to my home made temp probe the heatsinks are sitting on 71 degrees so certainly hot but well within specs, I'm not using any paste just a good tight fit. If I use a Hammond case I may just bolt them to the metal sides that'll keep them happy

cheers
FRED

Clever thinking using fiber washers to insulate the heatsinks.

If you wire the heatsinks outside of the case don't forget to move the gate stopper resistors (R3 & R9) too. 

I'm sure the 610's can stand the heat but wow, 71°C! That's HOT!

biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 34
Finally got time to case it up

I tried different coloured leds, the blue gave the warmest mids so I stuck with them
biggrin.gif

anyhow
thanks for looking

cheers
FRED

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 34
Hi sorry I made the boards as a one off using toner transfer, if you want to make your own I'm happy to supply the layouts

cheers
FRED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back