128kbs VS. AAC
Aug 22, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #16 of 31
aaaah confusing lol. im not into this re-ripping entire collection thing. i dont spend too much time on the computer. oh well, now that i know, future rippings will be done at higher bit rates. thanks guys.

Aug 22, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
I think AAC files are VBR, at least foobar2000 shows them as variable bitrate.

AAC is fixed rate. It's rumored that the next version of iTunes will have VBR AAC.

See ya
Steve

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #19 of 31
this is why i plan to get a music only HD and just keep everything in lossless... then transcode for portable use

Aug 22, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
AAC is fixed rate. It's rumored that the next version of iTunes will have VBR AAC.

See ya
Steve

Nero AAC encoder has been supporting VBR AAC for some time.

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I don't know how they do it... perhaps there is on the fly compression or redundant data, like with zip or sit files going on. But 192 AAC files are significantly smaller than 192 MP3 files in addition to sounding better.

See ya
Steve

Different lossless techniques are being used, but everything is included in the 192kbps number. Please post some examples where 192kbps AAC is significantly lower in size compared to 192kbps MP3.

Aug 22, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #22 of 31
I just did a quick test and you're right. I must have had something misadjusted when I did my test originally.

Thanks for the heads up.
Steve

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 31
I listen to a lot of mono music. When I did the test, I may have had the AAC set to mono and the MP3 set to stereo. I remember there being more than a 30% difference in size. I wasn't familiar with iTunes back then, so I might have set it wrong.

See ya
Steve

Aug 24, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
I think the confusion arose from claims that 160 AAC files sound as good as 192 kbps MP3s, hence equal sound quality from a smaller file.

but i still dont hear the difference with my music lol.

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
but i still dont hear the difference with my music lol.

that's easy, just use same headphone but different sources. ie: listen to the original cd via pcdp, and compare that with the stuffs you ripped at 128kbps, I bet you can tell the difference then?

Aug 25, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #28 of 31
I make a guess (don't bet) that you can't hear the difference.

In fact, I'll make a wager.

For a person who can differentiate 5 randomly chosen tracks at 128kbps ABR (my choice of mp3 or AAC compression at average 128kbps) from originals, will get $10 via Paypal from me.

Of course, it has to be double blind, ABX methodology (tampering proof software) and using a Windows setup with your soundcard of choice.

Inquire for more details (pm), if you want to take the challenge.

Remember: 5 randomly chosen tracks (not hand picked by you or me), distinguished reliably (statistically valid) from original, under double-blind conditions.

Offer only valid for the first 3 people who are able to claim this price (first come, first served). You don't have to pay me anything if you can't pull it off.

Just a word of warning though: double blind listening is hard work. I certainly wouldn't do it for $10. I'm not going to use this as an argument against people who claim they can hear differences.

It's just a very small symbolic token working as an incentive for somebody perhaps to see if they can reliably hear what they claim to hear.

Also, I don't fall into the camp who thinks that it's impossible to hear the differences (I just think it's a bit harder than people tend to think in general).

regards,
halcyon

PS I'm guessing people who can pull this off are far and a few in between. Of course, I could be wrong, but I'm willing to put a little bit of money where my mouth is
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #29 of 31
Saying this from the cover of my flame-suit,

halcy, you're on thin ice here. The official policy of the forum seems to be anti-DBT, anti-objectivism, anti-any-measurements-of-any-kind and pro-subjective-gut-feeling, pro-placebo-effect and pro-anything-costing-thousands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back