1212m to Amp volume questions
Sep 30, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #16 of 25
"Also, make sure you are using a -10dB output, not +4, as I have seen recommended on the forums (unless you are using a truley balanced output). This will overdrive your amp and causes gain issues in other places as well."

May I ask where one would go about adjusting this setting?

Oct 1, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well if your stuff was clipping or very near before lossy compression like MP3, during decode stage you can reclip again. So to not clip again, you reduce the volume/gain.

That is also my understanding. But if you are using lossless, clipping should not be a problem, right?

If you paid for high quality audio gear like the 1212m, it makes little sense to not spend the disk space for lossless (unless you downloaded the tracks).

Oct 1, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by seefeel
"Also, make sure you are using a -10dB output, not +4, as I have seen recommended on the forums (unless you are using a truley balanced output). This will overdrive your amp and causes gain issues in other places as well."

May I ask where one would go about adjusting this setting?

Go into the session settings, then I/O tab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasyRaider
That is also my understanding. But if you are using lossless, clipping should not be a problem, right?

Yes if you are using lossless, it would be the same as on the CD which at worst goes to 0db which would be the border of clipping. It will still probably appear as red on he meter but it won't be reclipping.

Oct 2, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #19 of 25
Well here is a picture of what most my CDs look like.

clipping.jpg

The only way I can keep from maxing the meters out is by adding a trim pot
confused.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 25
foobar's DSPs, advanced limiter and soft limiter should also prevent clipping as well as reducing the volume in foobar.

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #21 of 25
Looking I your settings, I notice that the monitor volume in the lower right is at -132. Could that setting affect the line level?

I am not sure how you have your patch panel setup, but if you are 'monitoring' the signal this may be why you have to push the output volume so high. My setting for the monitor volume is left at 0db.

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn
Looking I your settings, I notice that the monitor volume in the lower right is at -132. Could that setting affect the line level?

I am not sure how you have your patch panel setup, but if you are 'monitoring' the signal this may be why you have to push the output volume so high. My setting for the monitor volume is left at 0db.

No, I have a "SEND TO OUTPUT" in the strip, so all mixer levels are by-passed (Like a Line-out)

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
foobar's DSPs, advanced limiter and soft limiter should also prevent clipping as well as reducing the volume in foobar.

Well why are these CDs clipping? Or I guess I should say why do the apear to be clipping based on the mixer level meters? I can't say that I notice a clipped sound, just a clipped visual.

Oct 2, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #24 of 25
Maybe the red light goes on when it reaches 0 but it actually doesn't go over (and actually clips).

Oct 2, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #25 of 25
There is no such thing as going over. Clipping would be 2 or more consecutive samples with the full scale maximum or minimum value of -2^15 and 2^15 -1 respectively.

With pro music monitoring gear you can sometimes specify how many consecutive full scale samples will trigger the clipping indictor.

Even with the high level of compression on the recordings today, having more than 2 consecutive samples should be very rare.

Compressing/decompressing should not introduce clipping either. If this happens regularly there is something messing with the bits.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back