1212M Setup?
Dec 1, 2004 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

twodeko

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fiers..

I got my EMU1212M a good couple months ago and have been jamming out to music on it constantly since i picked it up. I am running it into a Yamaha Reciever (RX 396) and then it is sent to my B&W 601's. Lately, I have noticed some distortion/crackling at higher frequencies and was wondering if anyone could give me the best setup for foobar2000 and the EMU1212M. I know there are plenty of threads around here concerning this but most of those have died down and I was looking to see what people have changed their minds about and that. I am not very familiar with the mixer, but I am using ASIO with a patch sending it to the analog output board. Thanks for all the help
orphsmile.gif

Storage... APX/APS MP3 and FLAC

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 13
If you're setting off the red lights in any of the peak meters you may consider adding a trim pot to your output strip and decreasing the output a bit. I think around 3-5db should do the trick.

Dec 1, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 13
edit: both the trim pot and volume that you can edit in the [main/mix] bar set are now at -4.5 and it sounds considerably better. question is about the phase invert.

any other tweaks?

my output is at 44.1 +4 ASIO

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 13
as mentioned above, check to see if you're clipping by seeing whether the red lights above the volume level indicator light up.
by the way, is it doing it consistently? perhaps it's some of your media files. another thing, use the volume attentuator in foobar2k to lower the volume. (i've got mine set to -8.0db)
in patchmix, i also use a leveling amp to keep the volume somewhat even between all songs.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 13
It was hitting the red mark in the mixer... so i take it that was the problem there. All my rips are APS/APX and FLAC, all to the uber standard so those should not be an issue.

What is the phase invert option and auto leveling?

Dec 1, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I was under the impression that +4 is only for balanced connections. Try -10 and see if it is any better, as this is for unbalanced. I could be way off though

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but what's a "balanced" connection?
confused.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but what's a "balanced" connection?
confused.gif

http://homerecording.about.com/libra...y/aa082697.htm

good lil write up on it there

-----------------------------------------------------------

I would also suggest creating a -10 sessions to see if that fixes the problem, I use +4 on mine, with a trim pot so the levels dont go past orange.

Dec 2, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 13
im running at -10 now and it doesnt seem like that made much of a difference. i understand what a balanced cable is but understood +10 safe as long as the cables were not very long.

any foobar settings?

thanks for the replies so far

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 13
turn the volume down in foobar. mine's set to -8.0db

i don't know what phase invert is but the auto leveling or leveling amp is to help maintain an even volume. this can also be accomplished by using replaygain but i don't know if the format that you're using supports replay gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back