1212M is good but sounds 'dead'
Aug 30, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #16 of 25
since I'm now thinking of making the jump from 1212M to 1212M + Zhaolu. How significant and what kind of differences in sound can I expect? I feel like I am not getting the robust, warm natural sound like I am getting with vinyl. I am hoping the Zhaolu will offer some improvements in this regard.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #17 of 25
Jbucla2005, I recently changed soundcards from a 1212m but found exactly what I was looking for. My system has musicality and PRaT back but most importantly I enjoy it a lot more
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showp...7&postcount=11

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 25
I own both the EMU 1212m and the stock Zhaolu 1.3 DAC. To my ears they sound virtually identical, I struggled to hear any difference at all.

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by davvy
I own both the EMU 1212m and the stock Zhaolu 1.3 DAC. To my ears they sound virtually identical, I struggled to hear any difference at all.

That doesn't bode well for the Zhaolu then does it?
wink.gif

After trying the MHDT Labs Dialogue II and Esoteric D-500, I instantly realized how terrible the 0404 just was. The sound people are describing is right on. Dull, lifeless, and sterile. IMO if you're serious about the hobby then a DAC is a must have. The Dialogue II had an incredibly musical sound. While the rich low end wasn't a great match for Sennheiser's, it still easily trumped my 0404 in other areas of the spectrum.

From what I've read, the stock Zhaolu is worthless unless you can afford to have it modified. Only then does it become worth upgrading over the 1212. Also, look into the offerings from MHDT Labs, as well as the DAC-Ah. You'd be surprised how many DAC's are available in that general price range (<$300).

Aug 30, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #20 of 25
With that rig I'd be more inclined to dump the amp and not the Emu. The Senn 650 needs an amp that can grab it and make it sing. The ASL isn't it. On the affordable end I'd give a HeadAmp Lite a try. That alone will tighten things up, reduce bloom and keep the bass controlled while improving impact and extention into the treble.

Not bad for $250 used
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #21 of 25
i can only offer a comparison between the juli@'s DAC and the zhaolu D2C modded opamps, and the clarity and soundstage differences are very obvious.

so i wonder how the EMU cards compare to the juli@ in terms of onboard digital-analog conversion? are they considered better?

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
With that rig I'd be more inclined to dump the amp and not the Emu. The Senn 650 needs an amp that can grab it and make it sing. The ASL isn't it. On the affordable end I'd give a HeadAmp Lite a try. That alone will tighten things up, reduce bloom and keep the bass controlled while improving impact and extention into the treble.

Not bad for $250 used
wink.gif

Actually It's not in my sig but the DAC is to be used in my main living room system which has a very nice Luxman tube amp and Vandersteen 1C speakers/Beyer DT-880's. This is where I play my vinyl and switching between the vinyl and 1212m is embarressing for the 1212m. I have another 1212m in my bedroom with an MG Head which I am pretty satisfied with for now, however (probably because I haven't heard anything better with that system.) BTW I really like the MG head although I agree it is not so transparent.

Aug 30, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #23 of 25
Well err duh! Analog is king there isn't a digital source on the planet that'll compete with a good analog rig in this price range
biggrin.gif

So you're looking for a digital source for your Luxman/Beyer 880 rig?

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Well err duh! Analog is king there isn't a digital source on the planet that'll compete with a good analog rig in this price range
biggrin.gif

So you're looking for a digital source for your Luxman/Beyer 880 rig?

Yes, I am considering it if I can find a cost effective upgrade, although I mostly use the speakers (Vandersteen 1c's.) I love my vinyl, but I just have so much music on my PC and would like to find a way to infuse it with more life and quality in the sound.

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #25 of 25
You're trying to reach from where I was. The baby steps didn't do it. To improve on the 1212m without losing elsewhere it took the Tri-Vista 21. Lesser solid state options where too lean, dry or shouty.

I believe there are less expensive Chinese options in tube DACs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back