1212m as preamplifier
Aug 19, 2005 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Claus1100xx

500+ Head-Fier
Is it possible to run the E-mu 1212m as a preamplifier for a pair of monoblocks or a 2channel power amp? Has anybody tried it?

It seems like pathmix has all the necessary volume controls and the card seems to be able to handle most inputs. Would this work?

Aug 19, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't get it. A preamp from what source?
Soundcards aren't designed to be sources of clean gain. You're supposed to feed them line level to begin with. The E-MU 1212m does have lots of controls, but the input is supposed to be LINE LEVEL and most importantly LINE IMPEDANCE. Anything else will likely either distort, or suck out all the tone. And a very low level will just mean more noise.

Aug 19, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasbin
I don't get it. A preamp from what source?
Soundcards aren't designed to be sources of clean gain. You're supposed to feed them line level to begin with. The E-MU 1212m does have lots of controls, but the input is supposed to be LINE LEVEL and most importantly LINE IMPEDANCE. Anything else will likely either distort, or suck out all the tone. And a very low level will just mean more noise.

LOL I don't quite get the line level stuff you're talking bout. Well all my audio is on my computer, so ideally I'd like to output it to a power amp without a volume control. I'd only only control the volume on the computer and that would control the amp. Also the emu has digital input so I thought I might be able to hook up a DVD and run it through the emu input and have it be output analog to a poweramp. Anway to achieve this?

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 15
I think using headphone amp will bring extra not necessary components to signal path (which is not good).

Simplest preamplifies is just volume knob and source selector (there is DIY preambs containing only those components). In your case source selector isn't necessary, so volume knob is only missing. The resistance of volume knob is seen as output impedance, but for example 50kOhm resistor connected between signal and ground should replace that.

Aug 19, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
Is it possible to run the E-mu 1212m as a preamplifier for a pair of monoblocks or a 2channel power amp? Has anybody tried it?

It seems like pathmix has all the necessary volume controls and the card seems to be able to handle most inputs. Would this work?

I use my 1212M with a Parasound HCA 1000A power amp, without preamp. It works fine. I use the master volume control of my Logitech keyboard as volume control.

Aug 19, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kundo
I use my 1212M with a Parasound HCA 1000A power amp, without preamp. It works fine. I use the master volume control of my Logitech keyboard as volume control.

Just be VERY careful... it's easy to turn it to MAX and then... its over for the speakers.

Aug 19, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Just be VERY careful... it's easy to turn it to MAX and then... its over for the speakers.

Not easier than turn to max on a preamp...

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 15
you can send the PPX back and have some preamp outs added to it
icon10.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
you can send the PPX back and have some preamp outs added to it
icon10.gif

yah I'll probably do that when mikhail upgrades it to a SLAM - this place really sucks the money out of your pocket

Aug 19, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
yah I'll probably do that when mikhail upgrades it to a SLAM - this place really sucks the money out of your pocket

might as well go all out and do the solen upgrade and 6sn7 gain along with the SLAM upgrade
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #14 of 15
or just trade it in for a balanced SDS with all those options
eek.gif
. All the money out of your pocket? No that's probably all the money out of your pocket, your credit, and whatever you can get from your local bank while armed with a shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back