120GB Classic HD installed in 5.5G 30GB Ipod
May 6, 2009 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

belac

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any experiance putting a 120GB Classic hard drive in a 5.5G 30GB ipod and still being able to use the slim back?

May 6, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 13
in general you can't replace a 5mm thick drive with an 8mm thick drive.

May 6, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 13
I measured both drives with a micrometer and they measure the same.

May 6, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 13
You measured the height not the length and width right...

May 6, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 13
Yes, I did measure the thickness. I also went to Toshiba's web page and looked up the part number and the specs say 5mm. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before. I know several people that have shipped 5.5G 30GB ipods to Vinnie at RWO and had the 30GB replaced with the classic 80GB hard drive and still kept the slim back cover.
The dimensions on the 80 classic hard drive and the 120 classic hard drive are the same.

May 6, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 13
You should specify the model of harddrive.

I suspect you mean the MK1231GAL rather than the MK1214GAH.

I recommend searching around the net on the subject of MK1231GAL compatibility with the ipod - because it's been found to be incompatible with some DAPs that are compatable with the MK1214GAH.

May 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 13
This would be gloriously intriguing! Keep us updated.

May 7, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 13
I think the op is talking about the samsung 80 gig hard drive that will fit in the 30 gig framework because it is only a single platter drive whereas the toshiba version is a dual platter drive hence the extra thickness of the toshiba versus the samsung. I have one of the samsung 120 gig hard drive in my 5th generation and love it because it has a larger buffer than the toshibas and spins at a faster rotational speed (supposedly loads faster).

May 7, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the op is talking about the samsung 80 gig hard drive that will fit in the 30 gig framework because it is only a single platter drive whereas the toshiba version is a dual platter drive hence the extra thickness of the toshiba versus the samsung. I have one of the samsung 120 gig hard drive in my 5th generation and love it because it has a larger buffer than the toshibas and spins at a faster rotational speed (supposedly loads faster).

What part of "120GB Classic HD installed in 5.5G 30GB Ipod" makes you think he's referring to an 80gb drive?

There are two toshiba 120gb ZIF drives - one of them, the MK1231GAL, is thinner than the other, and from the look of things on the 'net might do what he wants.

Might also work in a gigabeat S30, so, I'm sortof interested in trying one out myself.

May 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What part of "120GB Classic HD installed in 5.5G 30GB Ipod" makes you think he's referring to an 80gb drive?

There are two toshiba 120gb ZIF drives - one of them, the MK1213GAL, is thinner than the other, and from the look of things on the 'net might do what he wants.

Might also work in a gigabeat S30, so, I'm sortof interested in trying one out myself.

Boy that came out wrong. I guess the easiest way to say this is that he needs a single platter drive for it to work in the 30 gig housing of the 5th generation ipod. The only drive that I know of that will fit the 30 gig housing is the 80 gig samsung #HS081HA. This is an 80 gig single platter drive that meets the thickness requirement. I believe EFN has a post about fitting this drive in his Ipod. As far for the MK1216GAL I think that will only fit the Classic Ipods as it is a different type of ZIF connector (not completely sure though). Didn't mean to suggest that he was talking about putting an 80 gig in his Ipod, just trying to let him know that as far as I know that is the largest hard drive I believe that is currently available that will fit his original housing without modifying/replacing the backplate.

May 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boy that came out wrong. I guess the easiest way to say this is that he needs a single platter drive for it to work in the 30 gig housing of the 5th generation ipod. The only drive that I know of that will fit the 30 gig housing is the 80 gig samsung #HS081HA. This is an 80 gig single platter drive that meets the thickness requirement. I believe EFN has a post about fitting this drive in his Ipod. As far for the MK1216GAL I think that will only fit the Classic Ipods as it is a different type of ZIF connector (not completely sure though). Didn't mean to suggest that he was talking about putting an 80 gig in his Ipod, just trying to let him know that as far as I know that is the largest hard drive I believe that is currently available that will fit his original housing without modifying/replacing the backplate.

I meant MK1231GAL, which is single-platter and PATA.

http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/3118...mk1231gal.html

http://www.lunacommerce.com/products...=102&proid=191

May 7, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 13
Yes, mk1231gal will not fit the 5th generation Ipod it only fits the classic. The connectors are different, I believe this was posted and confirmed on one of the Ipod forums. If you contact Rapid Repair they should also be able to confirm this for you. Below is a direct quote from there website:

Description:

Get a replacement Hard Disk Drive for your iPod classic, or Microsoft Zune Digital Media Player 80GB. This item is a brand new Toshiba Hard Drive and will work in the ALL iPod classic units & Microsoft Zune Players (Zune 80GB). Toshiba 120GB MK1231GAL Hard Drive.

Note:

This item is compatible with All iPod classic & Microsoft Zune Gen 2 models, and can be used to UPGRADE a 80GB iPod Classic to a 120GB, and from a 80GB Zune to a 120GB Zune. This does NOT require a larger backing for the iPod or zune because this is a single platter 5mm drive.

This drive is NOT compatible with PC or MAC. This cannot be used as an internal/external hard disk for anything other than an iPod/Zune. You take all risk for making this drive work in anything other than an iPod/Zune.

May 7, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 13
I thought the 6th generation used CE-ATA?

At any rate you seem to be correct that the ML1231GAL only seems to work in the ipod classic, as far as ipods go.

And the zune 80.

I am recently drunk with financial stability and have (foolishly?) purchased an MK1231GAL to see if it will work in a Gigabeat S30, but seeing as people don't seem to say it will work in a zune 30, which is almost the same thing, I'm probably not going to have any luck.

I guess if i strike out I'll just buy a busted zune 80 or ipod classic.

I really need to build my own 'tower of rockbox' and add a photo to the wiki . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back