120gb 1.8' hard drive announced - will fit the ipod!
Sep 8, 2006 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

aluren

Headphoneus Supremus
while reading some posts on ilounge, i found out that seagate has announced a 120gb version of the same hard drive (size) that are currently used for ipods. although it won't be out till December 06, i'm still pretty excited about it... maybe it will be in the 6G ipods, maybe not... but does anyone know if vinnie from red wine imods will be able to change the hard drives? he help me put in a better power battery when i shipped my ipod (along with the batery) to him for the imod. i'm psyched if he can make the change! imagine a 120gb imod ipod!!! wooohoo!!

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 23
Holy (insert diety's name here)...

That's bigger than my notebook's hard drive! Maybe they'll think about putting them into the next generation of ultraportable notebooks.

Sadly I think that at the moment (when it first comes out) it'll probably be much more expensive than the 6g ipod could afford. Of course assuming the 6G comes out later this year it probably won't have time to be shoehorned in.

That's... maybe 5000 songs in FLAC (not sure how good ALAC is in compression).

Hats off to you Seagate and your perpendicular drives!

EDIT: Now if only Seagate would be so kind as to come out with 250-300 GB 2.5" drives...

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 23
Putting in a new hdd isn't terribly difficult as long as you manage to open up your iPod without killing anything. I did it on my 4g, granted the "new" one was from another 4g and as such was already formatted to work with the iPod, I don't know if they do some funny partitioning stuff or not, I'd have to look it up.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
Holy (insert diety's name here)...

That's bigger than my notebook's hard drive! Maybe they'll think about putting them into the next generation of ultraportable notebooks.

Sadly I think that at the moment (when it first comes out) it'll probably be much more expensive than the 6g ipod could afford. Of course assuming the 6G comes out later this year it probably won't have time to be shoehorned in.

That's... maybe 5000 songs in FLAC (not sure how good ALAC is in compression).

Hats off to you Seagate and your perpendicular drives!

Ha, yeah, you said it, that's double my current laptop's hdd. I will certainly be interested to see what Apple will do with these, and like you said, laptop manufacturers as well.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 23
but seriously, i think 60gig is already an overkill. how many songs are you going to listen to out of that 120gig? unless you constantly watch movies with it, if it's just for music, why would you need 120gig?

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 23
My 60 GB is full now, so anytime I buy a new album I have to take something else off before I can add to it. And that's at 128 kbps AAC. I'd rather be using lossless compression, which would of course use a LOT more space.

It's not so much about how much music you can listen to at any one time, but having the capability, at your fingertips, to play anything you feel like whenever you want to. I can't always decide what I want to listen to ahead of time and load it onto my iPod (tedious and time consuming). I'd rather have as much of my music as possible there (on the iPod) and ready to go.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1Turbo
My 60 GB is full now, so anytime I buy a new album I have to take something else off before I can add to it. And that's at 128 kbps AAC. I'd rather be using lossless compression, which would of course use a LOT more space.

It's not so much about how much music you can listen to at any one time, but having the capability, at your fingertips, to play anything you feel like whenever you want to. I can't always decide what I want to listen to ahead of time and load it onto my iPod (tedious and time consuming). I'd rather have as much of my music as possible there (on the iPod) and ready to go.

smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, it would be great to have a 120 GB HD in my 4G iPod Photo.
cool.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj
but seriously, i think 60gig is already an overkill. how many songs are you going to listen to out of that 120gig? unless you constantly watch movies with it, if it's just for music, why would you need 120gig?

60GB isn't even close to big enough for me.

I only have a small fraction of my collection on my iPod, any time I want to put something new on something old has to come off.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 23
you might want to wait for someone else to do it first and see if they are sucessful before you do so. the archos gmini400 (same toshiba 1.8") some people tried adding new harddrives. the 30gb was sucessful, but the player did not detect the 40gb. they're not the same players ofcourse, so i dont know.

and yes, 1.8" hd are expensive.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 23
yeah it'll be expensive alright, but define expensive in this forum!
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 23
i'm sure vinnie could do it...it's a matter of whether it's convenient to do so or not. he recommends sending him the battery and having him change it since the wiring with the imod is really quite delicate...probably the same with the HD change...

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 23
What are the dimensions exactly? The Hitachi and Toshiba 1.8" drives cannot be interchanged because they are actually shaped differently. The Seagate drive might be different again.

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #14 of 23
As far as I remember Vinnie said the same about the HDD.
Although he might have meant changing defective HDDs instead of just swapping them for convinience.
But maybe fro a small fee...so that he will find time stopping building Sig 30ies for a moment
orphsmile.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #15 of 23
my ipod is one third storage two thirds music. can we get some portable terminal in the form of laptop or tablet, then keep your O/S (& all your personals) in your pocket ~ mp3 player? i like the idea of ipod as external storage, if you could run from it, even better. notebooks are too much a target especially with built in O/S and personal info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back