$1200 - Which would you choose?
Jan 31, 2010 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

coredump

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something new and I've got it narrowed down to these 3 choices.

Stax SRS-3050A Classic System

I've been wanting to go Stax for a while and this entry level system is in my budget. Is there a better Stax choice in this price range?

JH13 PRO

I'm not a fan of IEMs and it's hard to believe these sound as good people say but if so they may be worth a shot.

HE-5 + Audio-GD DAC-19

The HE-5 are half the price of the other two choices which leaves room in my budget for a new DAC.

On my desk right now.

PC - Audio-GD Compass - Elekit TU-882
HD650, HF-2, AD900, Triple.fi 10

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 12
Hello Coredump,

I was in a similar position to you 2 weeks ago. I had around $1000 and ended up choosing the HE-5 and EF-5. I think you are right to also look at a Stax system, that was my second choice. BUT I did not go for that because I never heard an electrostat. I knew that if I was gonna spend big bucks for something without hearing it first, it should be at least similar to what I've heard before. Plus, I can use the EF-5 amp for other headphones. You can't use a Stax amp for anything but Stax. Uh, does the Audio-GD thing you got have an amp section to it? You will need an amp with lots of current to drive the HE-5. Just to give you an idea The EF-5 puts out 7 watts (!) at 32 ohms. I'm not telling you to go for the HE-5, just letting you know the factors in my decision. Actually, I think you should get the 3030 system, then we can trade and hear them both!

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 12
3050A

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 12
I had the chance to try the HE-5 at Rocky Mountain Audiofest but I didn't notice them. I'm still kicking myself for that. I've heard a few SR404s which I liked and an SR404 Limited which I really liked. I'm worried that if I get an SR303 I will want to upgrade right away.

I should email Head-Direct and see if my amp can power the HE-5. If not I could always get the HE-5 and EF5 Combo.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should email Head-Direct and see if my amp can power the HE-5. If not I could always get the HE-5 and EF5 Combo.

I quote from HeadphoneAddict in another thread: "Fang says the HE-5 need an amp with 2 watts of power into 32 ohms to really shine."

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 12
Oh. Looks like it needs another zero.
normal_smile .gif

I've sent the email to head direct so I'll see what they say. I'm not sure what the Compass is rated at.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 12
I was in Japan last November and listened to several Stax systems. Unfortunately I made it out without a system and had been wanting one ever since. Fortunately I found a few year old 4040 system on ebay a few weeks back for a big discount. I'm really enjoying it, though I wouldn't say it's significantly better than my HD-580s.

When I was listening to various Stax systems, the one that really stood out to me was actually the 2050 system - 202 phones with the 252 amp. Was a nice little setup. I actually thought it had more punch than the 4040 setup, which seems a little more laid back to me. I may be back in Japan in a few months, and if so, I think I'll definitely pick up a 2050 system or the in-ear Stax offering (SRS-005) for the office.

Like you, I wanted to play around with stats. So far no complaints.

BTW, here's a link for what Stax systems are going for on the streets of Japan - ‰¿Ši.com - STAX(ƒXƒ^ƒbƒNƒX)‚̃wƒbƒhƒzƒ“EƒCƒ„ƒzƒ“ »•iˆê——

Users who are viewing this thread

Back