$1200 - Headphones
Aug 11, 2020 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RKarim

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently own the HD 650's from Sennheiser, and I'm looking for an upgrade somewhere within the low $1000's (1200-1300 preferably, however adaptable). As far as sound is concerned, I'm looking for something quite detailed however not overly bright.

I like the sound of my current headphones, however I definitely feel that it is time to move on. I own a THX AAA 789 and an SMSL SU-8 to drive my headphones.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~RKarim

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 6
MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open and HE-400i. You get 2 headphones for under your price requirements that complement each other very well. Both are planars which will provide you with that much needed bass extension that headphones like the HD650 lack. The Aeon is more up-front sounding with a fun sound signature. It delivers punchier bass over the 400i. The 400i is a detail monster and really provides a nice soundstage complement to the Aeon Flow Open.

Aeon Flow Open
$600 new

HE-400i 2020
$169 new

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 6
You should take a look at the ZMF Eikon and Atticus . The Atticus is kinda close to the signature of the 650’s and the Eikons more like the 600’s but both with soundstage and a upgrade IMO . I like them both but lean towards the Eikons myself. I have a pair of Verites and would just say don’t care for the 789 with them but that is me. You could also try to find a pair of HE-500’s used as they are still IMO one of the best under $1K headphones around .

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 6
If you can try the LCDXs it should be more detail, still have great mids, more bass extension and not overly bright. I would also suggest finding a different amp when trying them though. For reference my 887 you get detail but it's not a huge full sound you are expecting. I've been using them on an EL ll amp and details are there with sound that is more full and dynamic.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 6
Hello,

I currently own the HD 650's from Sennheiser, and I'm looking for an upgrade somewhere within the low $1000's (1200-1300 preferably, however adaptable). As far as sound is concerned, I'm looking for something quite detailed however not overly bright.

I like the sound of my current headphones, however I definitely feel that it is time to move on. I own a THX AAA 789 and an SMSL SU-8 to drive my headphones.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~RKarim
It depends on what you are after. What you like and what you want.
Ultimate spaciousness: second hand HD800S.
Best texture and sweetness: ZMF Aeolus.
Best bass extension and fun factor with modern music: LCD-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back