$1200 amp needed for a HD650/SilverD
Feb 10, 2006 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JTabacs

Head-Fier
Hi all, I have recently come across a HD650 set of cans recabled with a silver dragon, and I am in the market to pick up a pretty good source and amp. I've got roughly a grand to spend on each(before all the fun interconnects, power supply, cables, etc...).
I've been looking at the Jolida JD100 which fits in my price range for a CDP, but I'm still researching CDP's some.

As for an amp, I have been looking at a ppx3 slam, and also a raptor.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any insight.

Feb 10, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 21
YMMV if I had to get one in this moment (1k$) I'd get a GCHA amp ( seems to control the bass very well and to be very neutral , just what the hd650 may need top of all in the end )
I'm probably getting one too .

Feb 10, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 21
Are you looking for a DAC/ Amp combo? If so, then you can quite a bit by not having to get expensive ICs. The Grace comes to mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 21
A lot will depend on your musical tastes and what kind of sound you are looking for. I have Raptor (my favorite) , have had 650's with zu and RnB G52 cable using an E-Sound CD-E5. I loved the combo. I think I would have loved it more with a Rega Apollo, which is a source you should consider. There are certainly other choices out there in terms of amps and sources, the PPX or MPX Slam are others. There is a possibility of Eddie Current producing some more HD25's which is another amp I like although I preferred the HD300 for 650's. You have a lot of choices out there. Try and get to a meet because we can tell you what you want to hear, what our favorites are but in the end you have to decide. Some manufacturers like Ray Samuels, Singlepower and others that offer return policies.

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 21
Lotta good suggestions, thanks a bunch. I agree, theres a lot of different choices out there and the type of sound/music you like is going to be a huge factor. Fun stuff, thanks for the info.

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 21
I will endorse a recommendation for the PS Audio GCHA without any hesitation.

Best,
iDesign

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 21
Hmm, I don't know a whole lot about the PS Audio GCHA other then I remember reading that it accepted USB input. I'll have to read up on it, and see if it compares at all to other amps at that price range.

Thanks,

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 21
Amp wise...It depends on the sound you like...if you like a more refined, laid back, big soundstage...a singlepower mpx3...even the base model. And you like a slightly more forward, smaller sound stage with a quicker pace...a slam model will fill the need...I tried a mpx3 slam but I hear the ppx slam is awesome too...

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #13 of 21
I second the RSA Raptor.

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 21
I had tried the Silver Dragon with my HD600, and felt that it was way too bright. The person that loaned me the SD reached the same conclusion with his HD650 as well after he heard the Zu Mobius. (I did not tell him what I thought of the two until he had a chance to listen to both) So he sold the SD and bought a Zu Mobius instead.

Unless you pair it up with something like a Earmax or one of ASL amps, I think the sound will be too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back