120-ohm cans w/o amplifier?
Jun 9, 2005 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

virusvoodoo

100+ Head-Fier
How usuable is a 120-ohm headphones without an amplifier? I am planning to get the HD-595 after being please so much with my HD-555 (50-ohm). Where I am getting them from only has the 120-ohm version. Is it still managable with a regular source such as sound card (M-Audio Revolution) or MP3/CD player?

Also, does the headphones port in the receiver do any kind of amplification at all? I wonder if I can use that to help power the HD-595 (120-ohm version)?

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 10
I use my HD600s without an amp right now. They sound absolutely fantastic. Of course they'll improve greatly with an amp, but my Audigy2zs has NO problems driving them to loud volumes... 50% volume is almost too loud.

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supsup
I use my HD600s without an amp right now. They sound absolutely fantastic. Of course they'll improve greatly with an amp, but my Audigy2zs has NO problems driving them to loud volumes... 50% volume is almost too loud.

Really? I thought you can't really hear anything using those HD-6xx without any amplification since they are all 300 ohms. If that isn't the case then what is the purpose of having an amp? Is it for volume or quality?

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo
Really? I thought you can't really hear anything using those HD-6xx without any amplification since they are all 300 ohms. If that isn't the case then what is the purpose of having an amp? Is it for volume or quality?

Quality. Most definitely.

Not to say that the sound right now is low quality by ANY means! I almost don't even want to hear these with an amp because I'm so happy with the sound right now. I'm sure if I heard them amped I'd put down money for an amp immediately.

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo
Is it still managable with a regular source such as sound card (M-Audio Revolution) or MP3/CD player?

Also, does the headphones port in the receiver do any kind of amplification at all? I wonder if I can use that to help power the HD-595 (120-ohm version)?

My 120 ohm 595s are usable out of my iPod. They sound pretty good but it requires about 75% volume to get them to reasonable listening levels (I don't listen very loud) and even at 100% volume they're not all that loud. Amp makes the sound quality noticeably better as well as allowing for louder listening levels.

Some receivers have decent headphone jacks some don't. My Kenwood receiver will get them plenty loud but they sound horrible through it, same for every other headphone I've ever tried with it.

Ant

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 10
A really good amp will tighten everything up, as well as let you turn up the volume more on high impedance cans. Really, if you're spending money on high end cans, there's no reason NOT to have an amp. A really good amp will probably, as far as I can see, last longer in the long stretch than headphones will.

That said, I am running my Beyer DT 880s straight from my ipod, and they sound great. I would run it with an amp if I had one (it's coming soon!) but even without one, it is a superior headphone. I do have to turn the volume up all the way though, to achieve the volume level I like, but it still sounds great.

The impedance is 250ohm with these cans, so 120ohms should be very usable without an amp I would say.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 10
I have some CDPs that do a good job with the Ety 4s which are at 120 ohms.
etysmile.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 10
JFTR, all the 595s currently sold should be 50 ohm now. 120s would be really old stock. It's more likely that merely the specs weren't updated.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 10
I have the older 120-ohm 595s and they can indeed be driven by a portable (e.g., my iPod) and sound good. But they sound a lot better, especially the bass, with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back