11yo brother wants to get Beats headphones, what should I suggest as an alternative?
Jan 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

elai

New Head-Fier
My little brother wants to get a pair of Dr.Dre Beats headphones.  I convinced him that's it's overpriced for what your getting and you can get something a lot better for the money, but I'm a bit lost as what to suggest as an alternative. I have a pair of Fostex T50RP headphones and I'm thinking those might be good for him, since they're pretty good for the price.  He can play Piano if that matters.

What would suggest at the Beats price point and at the best bang/buck ratio for a 11yo (like the fostex t50rp) price point?

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Grado SR-80i - Definitely doesn't sound like Beats. Quality sound for 100 dollars; a bit bright for some folks and typically Grado in that it's more fun than analytical. If he likes rock, get these.
ATH-M50 - The M50 is an often recommended headphone. It's definitely a better phone for hip-hop, but personally I prefer the Grados for most everything else. The sound is closer to the Beats, in that there's actually a bit of bass, but it's not bloated.

At 11, I doubt he wants "accurate" sound as much as fun sound.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 12
I think you may also want to check out the ATH-FC700A. I have a pair, and it's quite good for no-thrill listening. At $29 on Amazon, it's a real bargain. For slow songs, piano, pop, classic rock, I think they are quite good, and would sound better than the Beats anyhow. I have a pair of Beats Solo (non-HD version) to compare to them.

But if you can stretch your budget, I'd definitely go for the ATH-M50 as suggested. Those are going for $110 used or $130 new now. I got a pair for my Dad earlier, and the quality is really mind-blowing. I'd get another pair if the opportunity arises.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 12
The real question is _Why_ does he want beats?  Does he actually care how they sound, or is that just what's the 'cool' headphone.

What I'm saying is that the 'cool' factor may still be a big part of what he wants.  In which case something like the Skullcandy - MixMaster headphone may be the ticket.  From what I understand they sound pretty decent.  And, of course, they got skulls.  Which, when I was 11 I probably would have been pretty impressed by.

Not much cheaper though.  Which is a bummer.

So again, what does he actually care about and if it is the sound, what kind of music does he listen to?  And is he running around with these (like to school, friends etc) or staying at home?  Those might all make a big difference to the suggestions.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 12
He want's them because he wants good sound quality, it's why I was able to convince him to get a set thats better than the Beats.  At that age to be honest, almost any sort of full size headphone set looks pretty cool.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 12
Well if he's looking for SQ is there somewhere you can take him to try some different headphones so he can figure out the kind of sound he likes?  Otherwise I'd start with 'what's the budget' and then try to find the best headphone in that $$ range :)

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 12

+1 for the Beats ~ you're only 11 once ~ plenty of time to get serious about sound later on, plus
 the memories of such crummy cans will be worth it alone. Double up Dre!

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

+1 for the Beats ~ you're only 11 once ~ plenty of time to get serious about sound later on, plus
 the memories of such crummy cans will be worth it alone. Double up Dre!

11 year old + $300 not-so-durable headphone sounds like a bad combo to me. Some Skullcandies would be more economical IMO.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

11 year old + $300 not-so-durable headphone sounds like a bad combo to me. Some Skullcandies would be more economical IMO.

On second thought, you're right ~ even if the budget is similar ~ Mix Master Mikes?

Just on that, not all pre 13 year olds trash their gear, know of one who is darn proud of his new V-Moda M80's ~ no chance
 of him treating them like a second hand suit case.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 12
He probably wants beats just because they're the fad right now. I have a 12 year old brother that just heard my hd650's for the first time and gave him pancake eyes. He "wow you can hear them like if they were next to you". 

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 12
It's not full size, but the AKG K450 sounds excellent - they hit way above their price-point IMO.
They've got a natural and balanced sound but more notably a rich tight bass which is what most kids want, and IMO it destroys all beats in SQ (even the ridiculously priced 'detox' beats)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back