1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
Oct 16, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #856 of 1,284
Thanks Mischa for the explanation. Is it safe to extrapolate from your comments then that there is less tube influence going on? In other words will the difference between a GE and GEC tube be less noticeable?
Don't think of it as getting "less" of something you value (i.e. less tube flavor). Think of it more as maximizing the potential for the tube itself to perform as best as it possibly can. What you get less of is bad stuff like high order distortion that makes the sound worse.

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #857 of 1,284
Don't think of it as getting "less" of something you value (i.e. less tube flavor). Think of it more as maximizing the potential for the tube itself to perform as best as it possibly can. What you get less of is bad stuff like high order distortion that makes the sound worse.
GE vs. GEC become more of a: GE vs. GEc :laughing:

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #858 of 1,284
GE vs. GEC become more of a: GE vs. GEc :laughing:
Wait...Mischa said it just makes a tube perform at its best.

In other news, a 1972 Ford Pinto performing at its best was still not a very desirable car. :laughing:

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #859 of 1,284
Also gets cat approval. Wife hasn’t seen it yet, but even if she doesn’t like it, she’s been out voted 2-1.

43429271-8418-4874-AC2D-B9C29F88C133.jpeg
Damn dude, you have some killer gear!! Congrats!

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #860 of 1,284
When using CCS over the driver tube, the differences between different brands of the same tube type are minimized, but still there to a degree. E.g. I still find that some of my cheap (well used, low measuring) 6J5's that I have still sound harsher/thinner. So IMO the CCS doesn't get rid of inherent strengths/weaknesses that certain tubes may have, it just makes the tube perform at their best, whatever the best it can manage happens to be - In the case of my 58% measuring Marconi, it tries it's best, haha :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I should mention that along with the above explanation, there are times when the warmer, slightly boomier sound that you get from the RES (resistor) setting (tube dependent of course) actually works well for certain types of listening experiences. E.g. during burn in of the amp I flipped the switch over to the RES setting to try out when playing Battlefield 2042 with some friends. I paired it with a Tung-sol 6SN7GTB as the driver tube and KT150's for power tubes on the high current (60mA) setting, and using HD650 headphones. That was one heck of an experience; very good 3D soundscape - gunshots with good body, satisfying thwacks of bullets hitting soil and trees around me, and cannon blasts that had really good texture/grunt. Would likely pair well with certain types of music as well based on listener preference, e.g. EDM, etc.

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #861 of 1,284
I had a fun and interesting afternoon comparing the amps. Certainly didn't need the heating on in that room with the 3 amps on.

I started with the Abyss. The OTL V6 was warmer and I could feel the bass more. The SET Red Dwarf is more detailed. Glenn SET 300B is more airy. Red Dwarf is slightly more forward. Pinpoint accuracy with the Red Dwarf. With the Aybss, both the 300B are more detailed and clearer than the V6. I prefer the 300B and Red Dwarf with the Abyss. Remember the V6 is OTL, and in theory OTL amps have no right to play well with such a low impedance planar headphone like the Abyss. Mischa says it does so well because of the massive Clarity caps. Most people think this amp has output transformers due to the 3 cases on top, but those cases are covering massive Clarity caps.

Next onto the LCD4. Remember to turn the volume down if switching between Abyss and LCD4... I thought all 3 amps were closer together in sound signature with the LCD4. V6 fills the headphone with sound, whereas 300B and Red Dwarf are a bit more selective where the sound goes. Touch of bloom with V6 as I noticed with the Abyss. All amps have outstanding bass with the Abyss, V6 slightly warmer, Red Dwarf goes slightly deeper. Wouldn't say I have much of a preference between amps when using the LCD4.

I was using Tungsol 6SN7 BGRP and GEC L63 drivers in both the Red Dwarf and V6. I swapped power tubes from Neotron 6L6G to Spanish Marconi 6F6 in the Red Dwarf and I definitely noticed a warmer sound.

All amps are dead silent when the preamp was set to the max. I couldn't even hear a faint sound of air/hiss which I was surprised about. Ive found the SOTM device works well here. USB straight from the PC or laptop generated quite a lot of noise (but only at very loud levels).

What pairing would I listen to the most? Probably Red Dwarf with Abyss and warmer tubes. But, at no point this afternoon did I think "this particular amp has to go, it's not as good as the others".

IMG_7253.jpg
IMG_7263.jpg

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #864 of 1,284
I had a fun and interesting afternoon comparing the amps. Certainly didn't need the heating on in that room with the 3 amps on.

I started with the Abyss. The OTL V6 was warmer and I could feel the bass more. The SET Red Dwarf is more detailed. Glenn SET 300B is more airy. Red Dwarf is slightly more forward. Pinpoint accuracy with the Red Dwarf. With the Aybss, both the 300B are more detailed and clearer than the V6. I prefer the 300B and Red Dwarf with the Abyss. Remember the V6 is OTL, and in theory OTL amps have no right to play well with such a low impedance planar headphone like the Abyss. Mischa says it does so well because of the massive Clarity caps. Most people think this amp has output transformers due to the 3 cases on top, but those cases are covering massive Clarity caps.

Next onto the LCD4. Remember to turn the volume down if switching between Abyss and LCD4... I thought all 3 amps were closer together in sound signature with the LCD4. V6 fills the headphone with sound, whereas 300B and Red Dwarf are a bit more selective where the sound goes. Touch of bloom with V6 as I noticed with the Abyss. All amps have outstanding bass with the Abyss, V6 slightly warmer, Red Dwarf goes slightly deeper. Wouldn't say I have much of a preference between amps when using the LCD4.

I was using Tungsol 6SN7 BGRP and GEC L63 drivers in both the Red Dwarf and V6. I swapped power tubes from Neotron 6L6G to Spanish Marconi 6F6 in the Red Dwarf and I definitely noticed a warmer sound.

All amps are dead silent when the preamp was set to the max. I couldn't even hear a faint sound of air/hiss which I was surprised about. Ive found the SOTM device works well here. USB straight from the PC or laptop generated quite a lot of noise (but only at very loud levels).

What pairing would I listen to the most? Probably Red Dwarf with Abyss and warmer tubes. But, at no point this afternoon did I think "this particular amp has to go, it's not as good as the others".

IMG_7253.jpgIMG_7263.jpg
Thanks for the write up :)
I am guessing you are self biasing these tubes ?

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #865 of 1,284

IMG_7253.jpgIMG_7263.jpg
Sorry for your suffering with all of that sweet tube gear. We are here for you :wink:

All seems awesome. Enjoy the heck out of it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #866 of 1,284
Thanks for the write up :)
I am guessing you are self biasing these tubes ?
No tube rolling on the Glenn 300B... So, I just set the bias on the top and leave it. V6 - no need to bias the tubes - there is a 5998/6080 switch. On Red Dwarf, I gave Mischa a list of all the power tubes I wanted to have run in the amp. Originally, we were going to have a crazy 10 position switch to choose bias point for each tube, but Mischa came up with a design where just a switch for 30mA and 60mA was sufficient. All tubes listed at 60mA can also be tried at 30mA.

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #867 of 1,284

IMG_7253.jpgIMG_7263.jpg
A lot of glass between those 3 amplifiers.
They look awesome! Congrats!!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #869 of 1,284
A couple of people have asked me about what some of the components are, like what transformers, etc. I thought I might as well post them here:

Sowter Output custom transformers * 2
Lundahl LL1650 Transformer
Khozmo Ladder attenuator
Kiwame Resistors
Miflex 0.47uF KPCU pair (Coupling Cap)
High voltage polypropylene oil capacitors (2 x 15uF)
2 - 68000uF Capacitors
+ lots of other resistors, diodes, caps ,etc

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #870 of 1,284
:slight_smile::slight_smile:
I have dibs on the avatar since I have it in the forum since 2004 and own the real thing framed… :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Last edited:
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back