1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
Oct 8, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #796 of 1,284
Beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder, but to these eyes that looks more like a science project than a serious amplifier.

I'll go with the (un)V-24's. :smile:

Cary V12i.jpg

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #798 of 1,284
I think I'll stick with single-ended and high sensitivity speakers myself.

I guess it would save on house heating costs in the winter at least.
Me too. Those were from days gone by, but still one of the few I wish I hadn't sold. My Jota amp will play more than loud enough at any sane decibel level, but the Cary's offered insanity which I've always found compelling. :laughing:

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #799 of 1,284
Oct 10, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #801 of 1,284
Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #803 of 1,284
Red Dwarf is now flying through the western skies. Hopefully touchdown will be before the weekend. Will report back more when it arrives.

Here are a few interesting features:

- Custom Sowter transformers with 22/88/198/352 impedance settings.
- There is a constant current source/ anode resistor switch. The driver tubes can be either fed through the CCS (flat, super low distortion loadline), or through Kiwame anode resistors (more angled loadline, more harmonic distortion)
- The dynamic bias on the amp is really neat; it starts the amp somewhere around -70 on the grid which allows the cathode to develop a good space charge before the power tubes start conducting anything - a soft start for the anode current. The bias current switch can be toggled when the amp is on, and it takes around a minute for it to adjust between the two settings. So you can try the two current settings for sound (for power tubes that can take the two settings) without having to turn off the amp

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #804 of 1,284
- There is a constant current source/ anode resistor switch. The driver tubes can be either fed through the CCS (flat, super low distortion loadline), or through Kiwame anode resistors (more angled loadline, more harmonic distortion)
...and I thought my upcoming (still under wraps) amp will be the 1st to have that super cool feature!
Cannot wait to read your impressions once you get the amp, hopefully before the weekend :)

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #806 of 1,284
Oct 12, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #807 of 1,284
...and I thought my upcoming (still under wraps) amp will be the 1st to have that super cool feature!
Cannot wait to read your impressions once you get the amp, hopefully before the weekend :)
Looking forward to seeing your amp as well!

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #808 of 1,284
Oct 12, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #809 of 1,284
Oct 12, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #810 of 1,284
Red Dwarf is now flying through the western skies. Hopefully touchdown will be before the weekend. Will report back more when it arrives.

Here are a few interesting features:

- Custom Sowter transformers with 22/88/198/352 impedance settings.
- The dynamic bias on the amp is really neat; it starts the amp somewhere around -70 on the grid which allows the cathode to develop a good space charge before the power tubes start conducting anything - a soft start for the anode current. The bias current switch can be toggled when the amp is on, and it takes around a minute for it to adjust between the two settings. So you can try the two current settings for sound (for power tubes that can take the two settings) without having to turn off the amp
Sweet! Look forward to your impressions.

I like Kiwames. Now that Rikens are no longer made and the remaining stocks are drying up and becoming stupidly priced, the Kiwames are a worthy replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back