1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #421 of 1,281
Chrisdrop has the Blue Halo amp:
1611346222322.png
Here is a preview of a white dwarf:
1611346389204.png
As far as I know no picture of the WD amp is available yet.

That looks seriously scary.

Guess I better get an order put in. :smile: :smile:

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #422 of 1,281
The chassis is the same size as the Blue Halo.

This is Mischa's explanation of the White Dwarf name - "White Dwarf" - in relation to White Dwarf stars; as compact in volume as the earth, yet with as much mass as the sun.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #423 of 1,281
Yes I was mistaken by looking at White Dwarf tube combination and thinking it look the same as the Blue Halo. I don't follow this straightly so the model names are still new to me. White Dwarf is a hybrid and produces 5.5w at 30 ohms. This will drive Susvara and impressions later would be good.

Same tubes as the Blue Halo (1x 6SN7 and 2x 6J5). Same tube rolling as the Blue Halo, so only have to make a single tube rolling document :o2smile: Could hit ~115-118dB peaks with the Susvara.

Any idea what are the dimensions of this guy? The "dwarf" part make me hopeful it is tiny... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Seriously though - I long ago ran out of space for "yet another amp" :frowning2: (but I really do want "just 1 more amp")

Approx 35cm width by 33cm length, same as the Blue Halo.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #424 of 1,281
Approx 35cm width by 33cm length, same as the Blue Halo.
So that is a full shelf in the rack... :frowning2:
What is the physical height, and what clearance does it need above that height for thermals? (my rack has no side walls, so totally open for airflow)

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #425 of 1,281
So that is a full shelf in the rack... :frowning2:
What is the physical height, and what clearance does it need above that height for thermals? (my rack has no side walls, so totally open for airflow)

Approx 21-22cm height from bottom of feet to top of the transformer covers. Taller if you use tall tubes or tubes with adapters. No clearance above for thermals is needed if there is sufficient airflow from the sides*. Tubes produce very little heat, it's the sides of the chassis that can get up to 60-65 celcius (140F).

*edit: but maybe give a little space above your tallest tube if you are using a heat sensitive rack (e.g. wood or painted) so that it doesn't discolor over time from the warmth of the tube.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #426 of 1,281
Could hit ~115-118dB peaks with the Susvara.

That is very interesting indeed. Could you describe the tonality of White Dwarf with 6sn7 and / or dual 6j5. Basically I want an idea of whether it's strictly transparent and neutral which I doubt would be the case here as the preamp section are tubes. On the other hand I wouldn't expect 300b kind of mid range and tubiness. Just invented the word there. :)

So if you could describe how White Dwarf sound, that would be great. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #428 of 1,281
Approx 21-22cm height from bottom of feet to top of the transformer covers. Taller if you use tall tubes or tubes with adapters. No clearance above for thermals is needed if there is sufficient airflow from the sides*. Tubes produce very little heat, it's the sides of the chassis that can get up to 60-65 celcius (140F).

*edit: but maybe give a little space above your tallest tube if you are using a heat sensitive rack (e.g. wood or painted) so that it doesn't discolor over time from the warmth of the tube.
My rack is made of metal, so not heat sensitive.
Need to figure out if I could get the the exiting shelves closer together and squeeze another shelf... otherwise, will have to figure out if I am willing to let go of 1 of my big amps :frowning2:

Thanks Mischa!

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #429 of 1,281
@A2029 We could call my upcoming (late spring/summer) amp the Red Dwarf? It used to be one of my favorite TV shows when I was in my late teens/early 20's :)

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #430 of 1,281
My rack is made of metal, so not heat sensitive.
Need to figure out if I could get the the exiting shelves closer together and squeeze another shelf... otherwise, will have to figure out if I am willing to let go of 1 of my big amps :frowning2:

Thanks Mischa!

Get rid of an amp?!? What? Sacrilege! Heathen! :scream: Just buy another rack. Sheeez.

I mean if your wife runs out of room for new shoes, does she just stop buying more? Of course not...she just annexes more of your closet space. Fair is fair, right?
:smile:

Room1.jpg

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #431 of 1,281
Get rid of an amp?!? What? Sacrilege! Heathen! :scream:Just buy another rack. Sheeez.
With all honesty, if I could fit another rack in that room - I would have... Not joking!

I mean if your wife runs out of room for new shoes, does she just stop buying more? Of course not...she just annexes more of your closet space. Fair is fair, right? :smile:
My GF actually does get rid of older shoes when she buys new ones... But hey, she does have 30+ pairs...

The name "White Dwarf" had me optimistic for a minute that it could actually be small.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #432 of 1,281
Chrisdrop has the Blue Halo amp:
1611346222322.png
Here is a preview of a white dwarf:
1611346389204.png
As far as I know no picture of the WD amp is available yet.
I do have a Blue Halo, but slight difference from that picture, 2x C3G sockets (so I could also use the adapters/tubes I have for the GOTL). I don't have a much of a collection of 6SN7s to speak of. Here it is as I type with 2x Mullard 6J5Gs (which have been a stead pair of favourites to return to!)

20210123_070330.jpg

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #434 of 1,281
Sure thing, that would be appropriate with the red power button :)
Then the White Dwarf has a white light power button?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back