1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
Aug 17, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #946 of 1,278
That looks more like Blue Halo++ to me. :)

So we've got 6SN7 and 6J5 options in the front three sockets, and I'm guessing the next two are for 6080/6AS7, but what are the other four sockets for? Plenty of tube rolling opportunities here for sure!

It's nice to see some activity around here too.
I think that there are 6 power tube sockets.

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #947 of 1,278
That looks more like Blue Halo++ to me. :)

So we've got 6SN7 and 6J5 options in the front three sockets, and I'm guessing the next two are for 6080/6AS7, but what are the other four sockets for? Plenty of tube rolling opportunities here for sure!

It's nice to see some activity around here too.

Almost correct :wink: 6 sockets for power tubes. It can run 2 or 4 6080/6AS7/5998 tubes or six 6BL7/6BX7. Also, there's an optional upgrade to use the 6336/6528 family tubes. Yeah, plenty of rolling opportunities. This amp also has a 12V switch.

The nice thing about this amp is that there's an "off" switch for the power tubes, basically turning it into a BH amp, with only the driver tubes dictating the sound characteristics.

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #948 of 1,278
Aug 17, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #949 of 1,278
Hi Guys! It's been a while! I took somewhat of a Head-Fi hiatus to focus on finishing off my PhD this past while, so I haven't been around much, and amp building has been pretty turtle pace. Thank you to everyone who has been waiting on an amp for your huge patience!!!

It can run 2 or 4 6080/6AS7/5998 tubes or six 6BL7/6BX7

Technically it can even run 6 of the 6080/6AS7/5998 family of tubes 😲, but the chassis would become a volcano/inferno of heat, and parts lifespan would start to degrade, so only 2-4 6080/6AS7G/5998 are recommended for running long term.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #950 of 1,278
Almost correct :wink: 6 sockets for power tubes. It can run 2 or 4 6080/6AS7/5998 tubes or six 6BL7/6BX7. Also, there's an optional upgrade to use the 6336/6528 family tubes. Yeah, plenty of rolling opportunities. This amp also has a 12V switch.

The nice thing about this amp is that there's an "off" switch for the power tubes, basically turning it into a BH amp, with only the driver tubes dictating the sound characteristics.
6 x 6BX7 makes perfect sense. I'm guessing the main power transformer is under one of those covers? That will help with the heat somewhat. The mains transformer had to go inside the chassis in my amp because of the BAoTs (big ass output transformers), so my chassis also gets pretty hot because of that heat source despite only running 4 tubes total.

Aug 17, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #952 of 1,278
I suspect I'm the source of that upgrade option. I've been wanting an amp that can run them for a while, so bugged Mischa about it and it was an easy mod to be able to run a pair.
Do you mean one pair of 6336 tubes? I have tried it in the GOTL and while it gets hot it is not unbearable. But watch out not to touch those 5A tubes by mistake - ouch!!!
One 6336/6528 is equivalent to a double 6AS7G.
Re running multiple power tubes, I have found that 6 x 0.9A tubes can give excellent results.

Aug 17, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #953 of 1,278
I'm guessing the main power transformer is under one of those covers?

Under one of the covers is a Lundahl transformer, and under the other cover is two big beefy toroidal transformers, for a total of ~570 VA of transformer potential. Up to 21 amps of 6.3V current just for the tube heaters :ksc75smile:

Do you mean one pair of 6336 tubes?

Just one pair of 6336 (one per side) as they demand such high current each.

Aug 18, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #954 of 1,278
I am using this external power supply (from a PC) to supply current to the power tubes in one of my amps. The electricity goes from one of the 12V connectors to a 15A voltage regulator set at 6.3V.
Based on the specs of this PS, can someone tell me how many amps I am getting to the tubes?
1660842033938.png

Some people claim that such an inexpensive power supply would be noisy in a Hi-Fi application, bit I have not noted any problems with it.

Aug 18, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #955 of 1,278
I am using this external power supply (from a PC) to supply current to the power tubes in one of my amps. The electricity goes from one of the 12V connectors to a 15A voltage regulator set at 6.3V.
Based on the specs of this PS, can someone tell me how many amps I am getting to the tubes?
1660842033938.png
Some people claim that such an inexpensive power supply would be noisy in a Hi-Fi application, bit I have not noted any problems with it.

The number of amps would depend on what tubes are being powered. Approximately 2.5amps for each 6080/6AS7, 0.3 amps for each 6J5, etc., Just have to add them up to get your total draw.

IDHT tubes have the good fortune of having the heater mostly out of the audio circuit (except for capacitive coupling and a bit of diode-like leakage between heater and cathode), so switch mode supplies can be used for the heater supply, especially if there is a bit more filtering or a linear regulator on their output. DHT tubes aren't so lucky, and on those you would notice the SMPS noise a lot more.

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #956 of 1,278
The number of amps would depend on what tubes are being powered. Approximately 2.5amps for each 6080/6AS7, 0.3 amps for each 6J5, etc., Just have to add them up to get your total draw.

IDHT tubes have the good fortune of having the heater mostly out of the audio circuit (except for capacitive coupling and a bit of diode-like leakage between heater and cathode), so switch mode supplies can be used for the heater supply, especially if there is a bit more filtering or a linear regulator on their output. DHT tubes aren't so lucky, and on those you would notice the SMPS noise a lot more.
Thanks for the answer. I am using this PS for 5.4A now, and I know that it can handle one pair of 6336 tubes at 10A.
However, what I don’t understand from the ratings of the PS is if it can handle four 6336 tubes at 20 amps.
Don’t have an electronic background, but I know that the start-up current (in -rush current) is higher than the current draw when everything is powered up. This in-rush current could be maybe 30% (?) more than the regular current draw and may overload the PS and voltage regulator.
If I know the maximum current this setup can handle it would be helpful to me.
Sorry if I did not express myself clearly but this is from my non- technical perspective.

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #957 of 1,278
Thanks for the answer. I am using this PS for 5.4A now, and I know that it can handle one pair of 6336 tubes at 10A.
However, what I don’t understand from the ratings of the PS is if it can handle four 6336 tubes at 20 amps.
Don’t have an electronic background, but I know that the start-up current (in -rush current) is higher than the current draw when everything is powered up. This in-rush current could be maybe 30% (?) more than the regular current draw and may overload the PS and voltage regulator.
If I know the maximum current this setup can handle it would be helpful to me.
Sorry if I did not express myself clearly but this is from my non- technical perspective.

Thermaltake TR2-430 has a rated wattage of 430W, so you could run all four 6336 tubes when they are heated as long as you run two of the 6336 off of 12V rail 1 and two of the 6336 off of 12V rail 2. But you're right about the inrush on power up; some switchmode power supplies will fully shut off when they go into overload, and only turn back on when power is manually cycled off then on again. Other supplies will keep trying to push their max current, and just turn on/off a whole bunch over and over (producing a huge amount of high frequency noise) until the current draw drops below their max rating. If the TR2-430 is of the 2nd type, then it could potentially start with the high inrush, and the inrush will decrease as the tube filaments reach their operating temperature. Modern computer power supplies like that are protected against faults like current overloads, so I don't see any harm in trying to see if you can get it to start with the 4x 6336.

P.s. 4x 6336 - Able to turn your furnace off during the winter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol!

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #958 of 1,278
P.s. 4x 6336 - Able to turn your furnace off during the winter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol!
4 x 6336 could accelerate global warming! :nerd:

Aug 18, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #959 of 1,278
Thermaltake TR2-430 has a rated wattage of 430W, so you could run all four 6336 tubes when they are heated as long as you run two of the 6336 off of 12V rail 1 and two of the 6336 off of 12V rail 2. But you're right about the inrush on power up; some switchmode power supplies will fully shut off when they go into overload, and only turn back on when power is manually cycled off then on again. Other supplies will keep trying to push their max current, and just turn on/off a whole bunch over and over (producing a huge amount of high frequency noise) until the current draw drops below their max rating. If the TR2-430 is of the 2nd type, then it could potentially start with the high inrush, and the inrush will decrease as the tube filaments reach their operating temperature. Modern computer power supplies like that are protected against faults like current overloads, so I don't see any harm in trying to see if you can get it to start with the 4x 6336.

Thanks for the extensive answer. As of now I am only using one of the 12V rails. It seems to me that if I want to use 4 x 6336 I would need a second voltage regulator for a dual setup, using both 12V rails.

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #960 of 1,278

Users who are viewing this thread

Back