1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #616 of 1,281
@Jaeger18

Congrats on the new amp! May it bring you years of enjoyment.

Your tube rolling comments kind of struck me, especially that you cannot tell the difference between an RCA and GEC 65J. I am sold on the benefits of the CCS implementation, but personally I'm hoping that in my amp I'll be able to tell the difference between different 6J5 a *little* bit more than that. Otherwise I'm going to feel pretty silly for buying so many different kinds. Then again leaving amp performance on the table just to be able to get more 'flavors' from tube rolling is pretty illogical too so again I agree with the idea of the CCS implementation on the driver stage.

There is something so satisfying about finding *just* the right tube combo that delivers that exact flavor you've been looking for. It's a shame we can't just eat our cake and have it too here.

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #617 of 1,281
@Jaeger18

Your tube rolling comments kind of struck me, especially that you cannot tell the difference between an RCA and GEC 65J. I am sold on the benefits of the CCS implementation, but personally I'm hoping that in my amp I'll be able to tell the difference between different 6J5 a *little* bit more than that. Otherwise I'm going to feel pretty silly for buying so many different kinds. Then again leaving amp performance on the table just to be able to get more 'flavors' from tube rolling is pretty illogical too so again I agree with the idea of the CCS implementation on the driver stage.

There is something so satisfying about finding *just* the right tube combo that delivers that exact flavor you've been looking for. It's a shame we can't just eat our cake and have it too here.

I forgot to mention this, the only tube that has undergo the 'burn in' process is sylvania 6sn7. and for the time being i prefer using sylvania 6n7 compare to sophia. Every other 6j5, 6sn7 tubes and the amp itself is new, ive only used it for a week. Its too soon to say.

side note:
-L63 (+-20 hours of use)
-RCA (+-15 hours of use)
-Sylvania (more than 500 hours of use)
- Sophia (+- 40 hours of use)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #618 of 1,281
@Jaeger18

FYI, whilst I agree that there is a bigger difference swapping tube types, I believe I can tell the difference between different versions of the same tube. Now, the differences are smaller than the GOTL for example, which is very sensitive, but IMO it is there that *little* bit methinks.

I think the CCS is a solid trade-off. YMMV, caveats, etc.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #619 of 1,281
@Jaeger18

Perhaps this is a glass half empty, glass half full kind of thing. Maybe a $5 GE would start to sound pretty good. :sweat_smile:

(OK, biiiig stretch on that one...)

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #620 of 1,281
FYI, whilst I agree that there is a bigger difference swapping tube types, I believe I can tell the difference between different versions of the same tube. Now, the differences are smaller than the GOTL for example, which is very sensitive, but IMO it is there that *little* bit methinks.

I think the CCS is a solid trade-off. YMMV, caveats, etc.

i started to get into audio gears 1.5 years ago, but eversince my past amp was broken for 6 months + 1 month shipping to and from reparation, i didnt listen to music much. so im considered new to this. so much to learn, maybe for some it is an obvious difference but i might missed it... sorry if ive misguided all of you for the review that i made. really would like to learn more from this forum...

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #622 of 1,281
i started to get into audio gears 1.5 years ago, but eversince my past amp was broken for 6 months + 1 month shipping to and from reparation, i didnt listen to music much. so im considered new to this. so much to learn, maybe for some it is an obvious difference but i might missed it... sorry if ive misguided all of you for the review that i made. really would like to learn more from this forum...
New is good! Enjoy! I had no desire to refute your comments, just to offer some others. There is no such thing as a professional enjoyer of music - but we all aspire to it!

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #623 of 1,281
You don't really want this to be true, do you? :wink:
LOL! No. I guess I could switch to picking on Philips ECG's, but that's a lot more letters to type on a regular basis. :sweat_smile:

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #625 of 1,281
New is good! Enjoy! I had no desire to refute your comments, just to offer some others. There is no such thing as a professional enjoyer of music - but we all aspire to it!

dont get me wrong chris, ive no intention what so ever or even think that way... all good im just saying so ppl know that im new so that they wont be misguided... thats all nothing more nothing less.. we are all here because we want to know more about Mischa's amp, what it is capable of.. All the comments here really encourage me to discover more about BH... im all ears... trying to improve my listening skill now.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #626 of 1,281
Otherwise I'm going to feel pretty silly for buying so many different kinds.

On the other hand it is good news for our wallets! No need to buy those expensive Neotrons

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6j5-g-tu...-quad-l63-6sn7-6c5-2a3-b65-valve/254799948487

I have got some 6c5c tubes. They are NOS/NIB and they dont cost a bomb!

6c5c.jpg

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #627 of 1,281
Feb 24, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #628 of 1,281
If you get a coin base GE 6SN7 for Christmas this year just remember it wasn't me.
I think he'd prefer a lump of coal in his stocking. But question: have you guys actually heard this tube or is it just fun to bash GE tubes generall? I have not heard their 6SN7, but the one GE I do own (7581A) is actually quite good.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #629 of 1,281
I think he'd prefer a lump of coal in his stocking. But question: have you guys actually heard this tube or is it just fun to bash GE tubes generall? I have not heard their 6SN7, but the one GE I do own (7581A) is actually quite good.
I strongly suspect that @bcowen actually loves GE tubes! He keeps bashing them, so nobody would buy them, and then he buys them for pennies... :wink:

Feb 24, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #630 of 1,281
Joking aside most of the RCA and GE 6SN7s made in the 70s are generally not good sounding. They tend to undermine some of the primary reasons people go for tubes in the first place by having a rough sound that tends to be particularly ragged in the upper frequencies. That's only a generalization though. I will say some of those tall glass coin base tubes *look* pretty neat but while I'd have one on my desk I wouldn't have one in my amp.

There are some tubes from the late era (late 60's onward more or less) that sound good, and they're often very affordable too. Tubes that don't have a particular reputation attached to them like the "bad boy" Sylvania or the round plate black glass Tung Sol can be good value bets. Tung Sol and Raytheon tubes from the 60's in particular are nice tubes that can be bought for very little money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back