110/240v speaker cable
Dec 15, 2014 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ruben123

Headphoneus Supremus
Could find very much of it, but could one use ordinary 110v/240v cable (for household uses like light, vacuum cleaner etc.) as speaker cable?

Thanks

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 9
Could find very much of it, but could one use ordinary 110v/240v cable (for household uses like light, vacuum cleaner etc.) as speaker cable?

Thanks

I don't see any problem with how it will carry the signal, however depending on the material the shielding was made from, it could be too stiff, which could make it harder to hide (speaker cables in general save for some overbuilt and overpriced ones tend to be very pliable).

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 9
One problem with most power cords is that they have 3 conductors (cores/wires), so you pay for copper that doesn't bring much to the party.  You may be able to find 4 conductor cords, if so connect the diagonally  opposite conductors together at both ends.

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 9
In North America the best budget speaker cable is an in-wall AC power cable, it's 14AWG by 3 plus ground Romex®NM cable. The disadvantages are that it's stiff and it's ugly.  You connect the Black & Red for one conductor and the White & Ground for the other, This is effectively an 11AWG conductor and all 4  wires are twisted which is a good thing.
Did I mention that's it's stiff and ugly?

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 9
I assumed that the cables he said were used for lighting were for lamps, which only uses two conductors. I was actually thinking "lampcord," which has been discussed in many threads as an alternative. Depending on where one is though if the price of a decent speaker cable isn't too high over these (or if you have spare lampcords), then I'd get the dedicated speaker cable.

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/49608-6-speaker-cable-lamp-cord

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 9
Used a simple 2- wired cable, and it's nice black. Dont hear a difference with normal cable i used first (of course) even though one cable is 12ft and the other 5, im happy :)

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Two conductor lamp cord aka zip cord. In the US, it's available for table lamps and for hi-fi speakers.  Then the US NEC rules get strange.  If it's labeled for table lamps it may not be used in a wall, while the same zip cord if it has a speaker fire rating it may be used in a wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back