11/21 - Urbana, IL at born2bwire's
Nov 21, 2004 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

strohmie

Ask him if he ever wants to see another Quail powercord again.
Starting this thing up -- pictures being imported as we speak.
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 17
This is basically all the shots from the meet -- I was the only one with a digital camera.
biggrin.gif

Headphones galore...

5660headphones-table.jpg

Some of the amps in attendance...the MG-Head

5660amp-mghead.jpg

The SR-71 (and yes, it really is that small)

5660amp-sr71.jpg

The Stealth, bathed in sunlight

5660amp-stealth.jpg

Sources...first a few portables

5660source-port.jpg

Ray's turntable

5660source-turn.jpg

bhd's NAD covered in myriad Grados

5660source-nad.jpg

Meridian 508

5660source-meridian.jpg

Computer rig

5660source-comp1.jpg

5660source-comp2.jpg

The star of the meet, Ray's upcoming phono stage

5660phono-1.jpg

5660phono-2.jpg

5660phono-3.jpg

5660phono-4.jpg

Now, the audio nuts at this event

5660people-raygrp.jpg

...copious notes

5660people-notes.jpg

All Gradoed out

5660people-gradoed.jpg

...this one I call, "Oooooohhhmmmmm...."

5660people-bhd1.jpg

Shiny metal earflaps (I'll spare bhd the more embarassing of the two)

5660people-bhd2.jpg

And, a few of the Illinois conspirators, all in a row... (better watch out, we kill puppies)

5660people-all.jpg

Packing up after another meet...

5660people-packing.jpg

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 17
It looks like you guys had a great time. Ray's new phono stage looks awesome. Any comparisons between it and the xr-2? I am guessing that the new one is higher end.

Nov 22, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 17
First off thanks to Born2bwire for hosting us. Thanks to for the mid meet barbecue.

The best headphones of the meet for me were the modified DT770's. Great sound and by far with the 880's they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried.

Ray's new phono stage made it's debut at this meet and it sounded great. Too bad he did not bring an XR-2 along for comparison. It is always hard for me really listen with a critical ear at meets. It was fun listening to others comments.

Nov 22, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 17
It was a great get together. First let me thank born2bwire for his gracious hospitality.

As to Ray's new phono stage, I only had a chance to listen to one side of a record but it sounded very good. I have the XR-2 and I must say I liked the new phono preamp, especially the dual mono variable gain controls. It is optimized for the LT1028, I believe, compared to the AD797 of the XR-2. Ray suggested you could easily try this chip with the XR-2. Now you can opamp roll your phono stage.

Both Ray and Billie had their PS-1s at the meet and I had a chance to A/B them. For being the same, they didn't quite sound the same. Even Ray came by and could tell the difference. We were using the Home w/the latest reference module. To confuse him even more, while he was distracted for a moment, I switched which jack the phones were connected to and Ray was still able to distinguish between the two. Ray's PS-1s seem to have a heavier bass compared to Billie's.

We also had a chance to use Ray's A/B switch to compare both the XP-7 or SR-71 against my HeadRoom Home with the new module. I must say, it basically boiled down to a matter of personal preference. This was the first time I had a chance to hear the SR-71 and now I understand the comments by the others. Quite the small performer. And in all the tests, it's handicapped by the use of inexpensive converters to take RCA's and 1/4 jacks to fit into its tiny little case.

I am glad I made it to this meet.

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 17
It was nice to only have to drive two blocks rather than weaving my way through Chicago this time.
biggrin.gif

I did less listening than chatting, but I did have the chance to go through many of the Grado phones. Overall, I'd say John == meh, Joe == mmm. Addict's HP-2s are excellent, but I didn't have the same opinion on the PS-1s (I think I was listening to Billy's pair). This had been the first time I'd heard the HP-2s and was very impressed with what I heard, while the PS-1s, at over twice the price, simply didn't do it for me. Maybe once I get a job I'll have to invest in some HP-2s, though the Grado comfort still leaves a tad to be desired.

Great meet, much fun. Here's to hoping there'll be at least one more before I'm out of the area.

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 17
[size=small]Just returned to St. Louis after an interesting meet. This is only my 2nd meet, and it is always interesting to meet the faces and personalities behind the Head-fi handles.

I'm glad I made this meet since I finally auditioned the Grado PS-1's and the HP-2's. Although I appreciate the HP-2's transparency and detail, I don't know if I would shell out $400-$800 for a pair. The PS-1's were so bass heavy, I felt it upset balance between bass, mids and treble too much. I could see mtself grooving with these to some music types, but it's not an all around phone for me. No more PS-1 lusting for me!
biggrin.gif
I actually preferred the Alessandro MS-2's---although they sport the familiar Grado bass slam, there was more overall tonal balance.

I also auditioned the AKG K501's at last, and I loved their clarity and detail. It is clear that they need to be pumped with a beefy amp, but, with that in place, there was great balance between bass, mids and treble. And they are such a bargain price-wise! I can see a K501 in my future.
biggrin.gif
I also reacquainted myself with the Beyer DT880's and their great soundstage (headstage?). The K501's has a very shallow soundstage while the DT880's provided such great depth. The 880's are phones I can live with!

Senn HD650's seemed like a refinement over the HD600's with Cardas cables on both. I briefly swapped my Senn HD-25-1's Headphile modified silver cables with the Cardas on the 650's and liked the detail increase. Because I have the HD-25-1's with swappable cables, the Senns were of great interest to me. I would have liked to hear them with a Zu or Silver Dragon cable, but then I am a certifiable detail freak.
cool.gif

I tried the Sony CD3000's again and, although I appreciate its quality, I can't seem to fall in love with this phone. I have yet to audition the R10 or the Qualia 010's.

This was also my first experience with the Emmeline SR71. Ray had the A-B switch working with the SR71's the XP7's and the HR Home. I could not tell the difference between the SR71's and the Home until I used Audio Addict's HP-2's. I'm still interested in a beefy portable amp, but I've upped the ante---I want a portable DAC as well. The SR71 definitely deserves strong consideration.

My many thanks to Born2BeWired for the barbecued burgers and cashews. I was great to renew Ray Samuels' and John JCB's acquaintances once more and to make new Head-fi friends. It's nice to know I'm far from being the only audio nut in this neck of the woods!
cool.gif
[/size]

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 17
Hey everybody, man i feel like i've just joined head-fi again lol. i havnt posted since before i went to poland. A special thanks to Born2bwire for having a great meet. i have to say that everybody there was having a good time and man did we have a lot of headphones there. And we had a great little bbq from Born2bwire and the food was great lol. i jus wanted to mention that the silver SR-71 that strohmie had pictured (which i have a little lower down) is mine and is one of a kind. it's the first pre-production SR-71 and the only one that had a board with all the electronic components on one side of the board unlike every other SR-71 made. It was also hand done by my dad and that's my cell on top of it lol and trust me i couldnt believe how it compared to the SR-71, you would think that since i've had the SR-71 for as long as i have, i would have compared it but figure. i'd also like to say that i loved the equipment that we had out there. the computer that was hooked up had amazing sound that was modified on the sound card, and the variety of headphones was just amazing. next time i'm not letting my dad wake me up until 8, i'm up from 6 in the morning getting ready and my dad's thinking we are going to make it just on time if we leave at 7 but we get there 2 hours before any bodys there so we have to drive around. but that's besides the point lol, i really had a good time at this meet. below is the pic of my SR-71 again, also, the DEJ-2000 that was pictured was mine as well and those were the Sennheiser PX200's.

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 17
Phil, thanks a lot, it was an awesome meet.
Thanks to a cruel, cruel headfier, I will now be lusting after HP-1000's. They have to be just about the most balanced, most detailed can's I've come across.
Ray Samuel's stuff was great, as usual, and the new phono stage was beautiful.
I also got to listen to the WNA amp. It has a fast, detailed sound, which is quite pleasing, especially with the HP-2's.

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 17
Looks like you guys had a great time. I'm sorry I missed this one for sure. My kid's party is still going on and there are a bunch of goofy colllege kids(oh wait,there were a bunch of goofy college kids at the meet too
biggrin.gif
) hanging around my house now and they won't leave.

Ray's new phono stage is the crap for sure and it sounds even better than it looks. I will be comparing it to the XR-2 soon and will offer up some impressions. See guys,I told you all the SR-71 was a good as I was saying. I have compared Charlies's handbuilt SR-71 to a production sample and I think they sound the same.

Anyway,I hope to see you guys at the next meet.

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 17
Wow...looks great!!
biggrin.gif

Sorry that I couldn't make this meet, I'm sure that it would have been great, just like the Chicago meets.

Nov 22, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 17
ok first off I have to thank Born2bwire for hosting this meet and all the great cooking. I was hungry when I got there and he made sure I was full to fully enjoy the headphones. this was the only meet when I was totally in the mood to listen deeply to some headphones and other gear, and I did just that.
ok now some quick impressions...

woody grado 325's (S_Dedalus)
well we all know I am a 325 lover and I was surpised to see a woody set of 325's were made in the first place. This was a real treat for me cause I got to listen to a rare set of the 325's not many people have heard. I listened to them using the 414 senn pads and I really should of gave them another go with the flats. The woody 325's to me have all the well known flavor of a set of 325's but they were alittle smoother and easy on their sonic approach. I heard a little more mid's then I do from regular metal 325's, but the mid's didnt overlap like they do off the rs-1's. the wood cups were smooth with a good clear coat style on them, not like the rough look of the rs-1's at all. nice looking and nice sounding cans with a real 325ish way.

Beyer DT770's (S_Dedalus)
beyer dt880's? (R.S.)
this was the first time I actually gave any BEYER phone a good listen. they both had the senn 600 comfort but with a very forward sound to them. I first listened to the 770's and they sang just like the 600's but with alot more force and "you are going to like this" way. I think grado owners can like these cans very easily cause of their sound and the senn owners can like them of their feel. the 880's had all the flavor of the 770's but was just alittle more laid back and flat then the 770's. I kept looking at the metal cup holder on these both, its so primal and industrial feeling its awesome, no smooth edges, no plastic, no pretty shiny paint just metal and rough metal at that. I was very surpised on the price of both and their sound they gave (770 were recabled)

GRADO hp-2 (Audio Addict)
well I gave these a good long listen and I really now know why alot of people love these. take the ps-1's shave off the weight take down the bass and you have these. clear,smooth, detail all while riding with that grado flavor..mmm me like. I really cant justify the cost of these but if you can find a set with a low price tag then these are a must go for anyone. unlike the other grados these love the source and amp alot. I heard them off Audio Addict's setup then on mine and they made a very big change. these out of all the grado's I heard are the best to go tube amp cause you will know it off the bat with these. niceee

Audio-Technica W100 (Strohmie)
well I heard a few different AT's and they all have that "down the hall" sound to me. its a nice sound but after you listen to grado's forward sound and get used to that you hear a AT and think of a speaker setup thats down the hall from you. these w100's have that AT sound but with a massive detail and clarity way the other didnt. I hear the singer's tongue roll and him taking a deep breath before letting out. I also took a close look at the construction of these to. at first you notice the top parts are all a funky plastic but then work your way down to the ear pads and the wood cups and the AT beauty comes right out at you. the way the drivers look behinf the screen, the way the leather pads are shaped and made, the smooth wood cups that are just as smooth and finished as a baby's butt..
nice cans, must listen to them again.

I also learned alot at this meet, esp with my upcoming source upgrade I am thinking of. one thing I learned from this meet is that you dont need a $$$$$ source to have a amazing sound. here are two surpising finds I noticed at this meet I never thought would have been possible.

Bel Canto DAC2 (Audio Addict)
I teamed this bad boy up with my nad542 as a transport and the xp-7 as the amp. it was so amazing on what a dac can do and how much beauty it can bring. the male voice I heard made the biggest change, it just sounded a hell alot more real..
Frank sinatra was standing right there and I mean it was the closet I have ever got to him from a set of headphones. the Bel CAnto is going to be on my audiogon watch list in the upcoming months for sure.

modded E-MU 0404 (S_Dedalus)
first off if anyone reading this has never really thought of using their computer as the main source then this is for you! I have never imagined a sound come from the same thing I use to view adult pictures could make this sound it has. wow! I am not sure if it was Josh and his mad modded ways or what but This has got to be the best $100 anything I heard. I really would of believed him if he said it was a $2,000 cdp inside cause the sound has honestly rite up their is quality and feel of the big bad cdp's I have heard.
this can be a great investment for someone just getting in or someone who has had/have many exspensive source's..its something you need to hear to believe really I am still in shock from it.
dedalus you have done a mighty mighty mighty fine job on whatever you did with this...lol

also I heard ray's new phono stage, talk about options? this thing gives a vinyl guy some major control over their rig. the sound is just all RAYmazing. so real it actually calmed down the caffine in my blood...
Ray you are really giving me no choice for a future vinyl rig..lol

Nov 22, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 17
*Yawn* B2b sleepy.

Just want to thank everyone for coming out, had about a dozen of us all together. For me, Ray's Yamaha turntable was pretty cool, first time I've seen/heard a linear tracking turntable plus it's automatic (WHEEE!! Buttons!). The new phono stage sounds fantastic and makes me wish I had the money to update my current analog setup. I also determined that my HD650's do have unbalanced channels so now I need to get that fixed (thanks to Ray and John_jcb for helping me out with that) and with my Grado's broken I'll be without a decent pair of cans for a bit.

Thanks for Ray for showing up with all his amps and headphones. Kudos for Audio Addict for bringing the Beer Nut brand Cashews but I must say that I'm rather dismayed that he left the rest of the nuts at my place within my grasp. Apparently after about 20 bags of this stuff you start hallucinating.

Nov 22, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 17
Thanks to the host, Born2bwire, for the all the help that he offered in getting things out of the car & then putting the boxes back again at the end of the meet. Thanks for the great hot dogs, I had two, they were grilled on the charcoal & they were yameeee.
I had a great time listening to a lot of amps & specially the computer moded card of Josh, that was a great sound coming out of that drive.
Sorry that Tuberoller couldn't make it, but we were happy to have John & Billy there with Josh coming from chicago land & giving a support to our friends in Urbana who always did come to Chicago to have fun with us.
Great meet, Thanks to Phil, & all the friends out there.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Nov 23, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 17
By the way, if anyone wants larger images of the phono stage internals, let me know -- the actual images are about ten times the size of the one found here.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back