$109 for a Shure E4c ??
Feb 7, 2008 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ryan1524

New Head-Fier
The cable on my Shure E4c split due to the cold. I always had a feeling this might happen, but thought they must have taken this into account and over-engineered the coating. Plus, my E3c never suffered in the cold. But I guess I was wrong.

I lost/was never given/threw out my receipt. So with no proof of Purchase, Shure USA wants $109 to replace my unit. I've only had it for a year - today's its birthday actually.

Would you shell out $109 to revive the E4c? or would you rather put that money towards something else? I've been thinking of getting something with stronger bass. I listen to alternative, trip-hop, LOTS of house, trance, and classic rock (lots of guitar); hence the desire for a bit more bass. Off topic: I did notice my iPhone seems to have stronger sound on both ends compared to my Nano, bass seems a lot stronger and highs are almost too harsh.

Any input is really appreciated.

oh yea: THIS is the thread about the cable split. If anybody has any clue as to how I can crack open that shell and reterminate it myself, please let me know. Maybe I can even come out of this with no money spent.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 11
I wouldn't pay that much for a repair unless you really like the E4c a lot.

I am really surprised that Shure wants you to pay that much especially when you're in warranty. A few months ago, I sent in my E3c because I by accident snapped the post on it. I had no receipt or anything and there was even superglue all over the post and driver because I had tried to fix it myself, thinking that they would charge me for repairs. I emailed them and they told me to sent it in and that they would just check the date on the plug to see that it was within two years. A few days later they sent me back some brand new SCL3 for no charge at all. I don't understand what's going on with them in your situation.

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't pay that much for a repair unless you really like the E4c a lot.

I am really surprised that Shure wants you to pay that much especially when you're in warranty.

Ryan bought his in Canada, perhaps that is part of the problem.

I know I certainly didn't get the VIP treatment from Shure in Mainland China. I had to go to their Asia HQ in Hong Kong to get my first pair of e4g's replaced for a similar crack. That time, I couldn't blame them, since the Apple dealer I bought them from in Beijing probably was grey marketing them; Shure in HK said they weren't authorized dealers, but they replaced them anyway.

The second pair has also cracked, just like Ryan's, but the Shure rep where I currently live (on the Mainland) is doubtful Shure will replace them this time, even though I still have the paperwork from the first replacement!

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 11
I got the $109 quote from Shure USA's phone support - a somewhat unpleasant sounding woman. I emailed the entire story to Shure USA (with pictures and a record of my email conversation with the seller - pseudoreceipt). Let's see if they'll help me out. I've only had this pair for exactly a year yesterday. Hahah.

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 11
I'd put it toward some Super Fi 5's, they are awesome with trance and techno
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ryan bought his in Canada, perhaps that is part of the problem.

Nope. No problem with that. I assure you this with hard proven experience.

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. No problem with that. I assure you this with hard proven experience.

I can second this. They were great when replacing my e5c.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 11
try calling again or talknig to a different service rep, I can attest to the fact that some CSRs are constantly PMS'ing while others are the nicest people you will ever meet

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 11
I had to have a pair of E500s replaced twice and they didn't charge me a cent. I think I talked to someone in tech support and got instructions about where to send them. They were very helpful about it. Good luck.

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 11
I talked to my seller (marcopoloca from ebay), and he was kind enough to email Shure Canada for me as proof of purchase. This is a year later, very grateful he did that. Shure made me a RA number, and taking it under warranty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back