$1000 to spend on an amp/dac for LCD-2s...
Feb 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pandastyle

New Head-Fier
What do I get?  I would like the absolute best sound I can get out of these cans for under $1000.  If it's slightly more I can stretch it, but I'd like to stay under.  I've heard great things about the Lyr/Bifrost combo, but would like to look at some other options.  The Woo WA7 Fireflies looks cool too.  Thanks in advance!

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 11
Are you aiming for absolutely as neutral as possible or something more on the fun side?  In other words is a slightly colored amp that may make the LCD-2 more fun to listen to a bad idea?

For the price the Lyr/Bifrost sure seems like a great idea and their designers are darn learned in the arts of audio design.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 11
Soloist + Bifrost is a winning combination as well. 

There's also the Soloist SL which is cheaper, but with the unique sound signature of burson lineup. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 11
I just read the whole LCD-2 thread. Saw a lot of recommendations for the DAC Mini and it's in your price range as well. I just ordered one for myself... I hope all the reviews are correct, it sounds like a real powerhouse with a great DAC all in a small form factor. Anyway, LOTS of folks using that combo with their LCD-2s and are very happy with it. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 11
IMO, the Woo 6 SE is the perfect choice. It's around $1000 but no DAC is with it. If I were shopping for an amp, I would that and buy a seperate DAC later.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 11
Yeah the Dacmini is pretty good option for stretching out the LCD2s treble IMO, or this and this for a combo

beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Yeah the Dacmini is pretty good option for stretching out the LCD2s treble IMO, or this and this for a combo

beerchug.gif

You know... That DACPort product is very cool. No batteries needed (assume it uses USB power). So that would open me up to getting a separate amp instead of having to get an all-in-one... Very interesting indeed. Maybe there's some good Schiit in my future after all... 
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
IMO, the Woo 6 SE is the perfect choice. It's around $1000 but no DAC is with it. If I were shopping for an amp, I would that and buy a seperate DAC later.

+1

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 11
I bought a LCD3, and really don't know whart to take.
DAC+AMP our DAC/AMP:
With my research i found Schiit MAGNIR+MOLJNIR or Audio-GD 27, what do you think or if you have a better option?
I am listening Rock/Hard Rock/Post Rock.
Ty

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
I bought a LCD3, and really don't know whart to take.
DAC+AMP our DAC/AMP:
With my research i found Schiit MAGNIR+MOLJNIR or Audio-GD 27, what do you think or if you have a better option?
I am listening Rock/Hard Rock/Post Rock.
Ty

For such genres i recommend the Burson soloist, it have more bass slam than the Mjolnir with great soundstage.

LCD-3 + soloist is a good combination. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back