$1000 laptop recommendations
Aug 22, 2004 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

damitamit

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

My parents want a laptop to use around the house, to replace the huge desktop they are currently using. They want a laptop so they can put it away when not using it (they dont use it that much) and so they make use of our wireless network using the computer anywhere in the house.

My dad's colleague is going to the US on business so is going to bring it back for us.

So has anyone got any recommendations on mail order laptops up to $1000? (or from any Costco store - my dad works for them so his colleague will be going to a store for sure).

I think more ram and hard disk space would be preferable and also wireless connectivity is a must. Apart from that i'm not really sure..

thanks for the suggestions
Amit

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 7
zump

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 7
From just a quick look, I pulled up these two Toshibas at CompUSA, but the under $1000 price tag is including mail in rebates. I don't know that you could do that from overseas. You'd also need to buy a wireless card on top of that.

I don't know what they sell at Costco. Is much cheaper to buy computers in the U.S. compared with the U.K.?

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Thinkpads are supposidly good. I know sager is the same thing as alienware for less money. Might be a good buy, but i don't know much about computers so you should probably wait for an expert to chime in.

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 7
thanks for the links viator. I think rebates should be fine to mail in.

Also, i think Toshibas have worldwide warranties. Thou im just checking this.

Yeh, it looks like it will be alot cheaper buying in the US, especially with the high exchange rate at the moment.

Aug 24, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 7
DAMN THE EXCHANGE RATE!!!
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back